Alternate spelling אָבִיהוּ missing from database Hebrew Bible (ETCBC Syntax)

Sven Brown

The normal Hebrew MT spelling for 'his father' is typically אָבִיו.  The alternate spelling אָבִיהוּ (avihu) is attested seven times according to Leningrad Codex Masorah notations but cannot be searched using Hebrew.  Only the alternate spelling Aviyahu will result from searching אביהו.  If I wildcard search *אביה the Hebrew spellings for אָבִיהוּא (Abihu), אָבִיָּה (Abijah, including the 2x alternate אָבִיָּהוּ (Aviyahu)), and אֲבִיחָיִל (Abihail) are properly found but the אָבִיהוּ (avihu) spellings in Jud 14:10,19; 16:31; 1Ki 5:15; 1Ch 26:10; 2Ch 3:1; and Zec 13:3 are not found.

Thanks,

Sven

Hello @Sven Brown, you need to use the LETTERS search function:

image.thumb.png.27ebc055977d026b4de4551501129c8c.png

Thanks for the reply, but I tried what you did and it still doesn't work.  I noticed you have the BHS text.  Have you tried this with the Hebrew Bible text which is a different selection it appears.  I admit I'm very new convert from Bibleworks and am still learning.  I thought I had the BHS translation but it appears to be different than the only Hebrew Text option I have.

You can reach out to Sales, and they can assist with ensuring you have the most cost-effective way to get the BHS.

Question to Accordance Enthusiast 

I see in your screenshot that your tab says BHS Hebrew (ETCBC).

However, when Sven Brown opens the Hebrew text he is using, his tab has a different name.  His tab says Hebrew Bible “ETCBC”.

It appears you are searching in a different text than he is and getting different results.

Would you be able to help me understand if that is the case?

I hope to be able to identify the exact text you are using and would like to understand if it was purchased as an add-on or did it come in a collection you purchased.

Would you be able to provide a link to the product on our website?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

According to My Account>Library on the Accordance website suggests I've already purchased the BHS (ETCBC) as seen in the Tab of the screenshot above.  Here's the Cut and Paste from my Library on the website (see 20th ball note). 

BibleWorks Crossover: Accordance 13 Basic Package

• ASV Notes
  • Accordance Atlas Sampler
  • Accordance Bible Atlas 2.2
  • Accordance Bible Lands PhotoGuide: Overview
  • Accordance PhotoGuide Sampler
  • Accordance Software Version 13
  • Accordance Timeline
  • Accordance Timeline Sampler
  • Altitude data
  • American Standard Version
  • An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon (Liddell and Scott)
  • Apostolic Fathers – Lightfoot (English translation)
  • Apostolic Fathers (Lightfoot) (Greek and English)
  • Arabic Bible (Smith and Van Dyke)
  • Atlas files
  • BBE Intro
  • Beige background
  • Bible Names Dictionary
  • Bible in Basic English
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia with ETCBC Morphology (Text)
  • Biblical Aramaic [(...)]

My in program Library has "Hebrew Bible (ETCBC) which matches the Tab in the workspace. The INFO icon in program Library is:

image.png.eb35dcf5e7d0339de3fd978e6b51bed1.png

Notice:  MT-ETCBC does not match BHS.  This is a different text than the BHS (MT-ETCBC-A).

SO, two items are at play here as far as I can tell: 

1.) My original post about the MT-ETCBC not able to letter search abihu to find the alternate spelling of the majority spelling abyv doesn't work for MT-ETCBC BUT will apparently work for the MT-ETCBC-A as shown above which is a database issue and not a syntax tree issue (see point 2).  

2.) I would suggest Accordance could be more specific as to which modules you receive by adding the module identifiers on the sales/library lists to aid comparing bundles and independent modules and their differences.  Why?  I found this note that states the ETCBC doesn't work with the MT-ETCBC-A:

"This module requires Accordance version 13 or above and the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia with ETCBC Morphology (MT-ETCBC).

NOTE: This Syntax will NOT work alongside the similar apparatus text (MT-ETCBC-A)."  Is this a misnomer?  It's labelled MT-ETCBC-A but no syntax tool?

To Accordance Enthusiast:

SVEN BROWN and I were able to get this sorted out.  No need to respond to my question.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2024 at 3:16 AM, Steve Carruth said:

To Accordance Enthusiast:

SVEN BROWN and I were able to get this sorted out.  No need to respond to my question.  Thanks!

Sorry I did not see this earlier. 

But glad you sorted it out!