Greek Syntax into Flow chart

Nick Cole

I am new to forums and this question may have been discussed.

I like the idea of the diagram in Greek syntax. Since I haven't grown up with diagramming, but I can see its value, I wonder if that format can be morphed into a flow structure format. Where you don't have the diagram but words are placed under one another in a paragraph or sentence.

Hi @Nick Cole. Without seeing an example of what you're looking for, I may be misunderstanding your question. By "words are placed under one another in a paragraph or sentence" are you referring to something like what Bill Mounce calls "phrasing" (or "sentence flows" or "semantic diagramming")? Here's an example of phrasing the Greek of 1 Timothy 1:1-2:

phrasing.png.481eccab7341ba69f8b7b459cbbc2280.png

You can also make your own custom phrasing in Accordance Bibles similar to what @Steven S is showing (just not with the labels, but I guess you could simulate it using highlighting or User Notes).

Hello Stephen

Thanks for your answer to my question. That is exactly what I am after. Does such a thing exist in Accordance? Nathan, I wouldn't know where to begin in terms of making my own custom phrasing. I appreciate your suggestion.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nick Cole said:

Hello Stephen

Thanks for your answer to my question. That is exactly what I am after. Does such a thing exist in Accordance? Nathan, I wouldn't know where to begin in terms of making my own custom phrasing. I appreciate your suggestion.

Yes - select a pericope and then select Amplify => Language => diagram

then you can drag words around and add the symbols should you wish. In an original language, you will see colours to show parts of speech. (CTRL-T (PC) or CMD-T (MAC) to see what the colours mean).

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nick Cole said:

That is exactly what I am after. Does such a thing exist in Accordance?

In addition to the diagramming feature @Ken Simpson directed you to, you can find the help page for the new Phrasing feature in Accordance 14 here, which is what I believe @Dr. Nathan Parker was referring to.

Also, if you're looking for other resources in Accordance that make use of phrasing (the technique, not the feature), the Zondervan Exegetical Commentary series is a good choice.

Thanks @Steven S for that! We have videos on Custom Phrasing as well if you need to see it in action.

• Like 1

Thanks Nathan, Steve and Ken for your help and suggestions. I recently completed 1 year of NT Greek and I am seeking to use that limited knowledge with the tools that are offered. I now need to use your ideas and start.

• Like 1

Glad to assist! Custom Phrasing in Accordance 14 is something I wish I had back during my Greek classes. It would have made life so much easier. :-)

On 1/11/2024 at 4:54 PM, Nick Cole said:

I like the idea of the diagram in Greek syntax. Since I haven't grown up with diagramming, but I can see its value, I wonder if that format can be morphed into a flow structure format. Where you don't have the diagram but words are placed under one another in a paragraph or sentence.

@Nick Cole you've got some good options from others (and how Accordance can help) so I'll try to help by address the strengths of each tool, rather than the convenience of having them "morphed into a flow structure format". I was trained to use both grammatical diagramming and a "structural layout" (which looks similar, but is actually different from "phrasing"). These two tools (among others) serve different purposes. A grammatical diagram allows you to analyze the syntactical (and discourse) function of each individual lexeme/construction with annotated precision. See this example on Eph 5:22–23:

image.thumb.png.adad8d474ca9e861c460724607b92c8a.png

A Structural Layout then allows you to take the analysis from the grammatical diagram to analyze the argument flow based upon the structural markers (main verbs, adverbial participles, adverbial infinitives, subordinating conjunctions, etc.) that drive the flow of the argument in consideration of the syntactical analysis of the grammatical diagram. Here is an example of a structural layout on the same verses:

image.thumb.png.c199f26f6cc51da769a60d23c99823df.png

I hope this helps as you continue your journey of learning Greek!

Darryl

• Like 4

Fantastic post! Thanks for sharing it!