Webinars on User Tools and Workspaces

Dr. Nathan Parker

This year, I plan to do a webinar on Workspaces and one on User Tools.

Are there particular topics in those you'd like to see me cover/feature?

• Like 2

Just today I was experimenting on using User Tools, and I wasn’t having much success; a webinar would be very helpful. If you could maybe spend some time talking about hyperlinks and Accord Links, I’d be much obliged. Specifically, what are the limits of the hyperlinks and Accord Links? I had been creating a user tool and I kept getting the error message about a book not being attached to the hyperlinks (even though I was putting location URLs from Mounce’s BBG into the hyperlinks).

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, I would be very interested in such a webinar. Thanks!

Good feedback. Thanks!

Also, explanations of the different type of user tools.  I need to check, but last I knew there was nothing in the help files about the new user tool types. 

Good info. Thanks! When I draft notes for the User Tools webinar, I'll see if I can also have those submitted to the help files.

4 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Good info. Thanks! When I draft notes for the User Tools webinar, I'll see if I can also have those submitted to the help files.

So I had a chance to go back and look at the help files.  There is stuff about the New User Tool types in New features in Version 14>Major New Features and Enhancements>User Tool Improvements.   But in the Digging Deeper>Working WIth User Tools section, there is not.  There are some references to the shift to unicode in 14 and that all new user tools will require version 14 due to "new features," but the new features are not described here.  Quite frankly, it looks like the entire section on User Tools needs a rewrite, as some of what is there is out of date, and the new features are not really discussed. 

Furthermore, in the New Features in 14 section, at the end of the first "Major New Feature" (Word Study) there is a link to the section in the help about Word Study.  There is no such link at for User Tools.  Once the primary User Tool section is written, there should really be a link here.

In terms of the information in New features in Version 14>Major New Features and Enhancements>User Tool Improvements, there are some points that I find confusing/hard to understand.  One is the reference to "Roman word" here:

User Tools can now assume a fundamental “Type” of content, which enables additional Accordance capabilities.

• Possible types are:
      • Dictionary (i.e. Articles organized by English or Roman word)

After pondering a bit, I think "Roman" means "any language written using the latin alphabet."  But that is hardly self-evident here.

More confusing than that, however is this paragraph:

A Typed User Tool gains an additional primary field, based on content of the relevant language found within a Title Paragraph. For instance, if a title paragraph is marked “Adam”, if the type is Dictionary, then Adam will be included in the primary field. For any other type of tool, since Adam is not in the primary language, it will be in the “Titles” field.

I kept trying figure out why there would be a primary field called "Adam."  I did some poking around in my various User Tool types, and realized that what was meant was that each new type of User Tool has a new field added to the drop-down next to the magnifying glass search icon.  In the example given, they mean that a Dictionary User Tool, the new field is "English Entry" (or something like it....I haven't yet made a dictionary User Tool.)  If you put "Adam" in a title field of such a tool, you can then search for the English Entry on "Adam". Similarly, a Hebrew User Tool has a field called "Hebrew Entry" and a Commentary User Tool has a field called "Reference."

I would hope in a webinar you would demonstrate this for each of the User Tool types.  And I would hope that info gets included in the Help files.  

Edited by Lorinda H. M. Hoover
correcting quote formatting

Good feedback. Thanks!