User Notes & User Tools Video Tutorials

blgriffin83

Are there any in-depth videos that really break down how to use User Notes and User Tools? I feel like they will be very useful just haven't fully unlocked how to utilize them.

There's some good webinars here:

https://www.gotostage.com/channel/2b99bda9c3ed4b7382a55737a7d54b46

I still need to do a User Tools webinar myself. This year I really need to double down on teaching webinars.

Anytime!

We still need resolution to the instability of the user notes, which completely disappear at times, making their usage unreliable. Until it can be acknowledged and a fix announced, the use of notes is too risky. thanks for looking into this issue which has been mentioned a number of times in the forums. 

I've added some notes and can't really figure out how it's supposed to work yet. If you look at the following screen shots, why when I click on John does it show the reference I have to Isaiah but if I click on Matthew it shows the note from John and the one in Matthew and so up as I go up to Daniel and then Isaiah?

I'm sure it's something simple but for some reason I can't wrap my head around it.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

@mbcvida Yep, on my list to have the teams look into after we get syncing done. @blgriffin83 Someone can probably chime in here with some feedback for you.

7 hours ago, blgriffin83 said:

If you look at the following screen shots, why when I click on John does it show the reference I have to Isaiah but if I click on Matthew it shows the note from John and the one in Matthew and so up as I go up to Daniel and then Isaiah?

Hi @blgriffin83. From my experience with user notes, the behavior you're observing is by design. Think of your notes as one contiguous run of text on a single, infinitely long page. The links in the navigation pane simply position that page in the view so that the selected heading is aligned at the top. It doesn't do any kind of filtering (e.g., only showing the notes under "Daniel" when "Daniel" is selected), thus allowing you to scroll forward or backward to notes outside the selected heading. This is the same navigation behavior implemented in text modules (e.g., Bibles) and tool modules (e.g., commentaries).

12 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

@mbcvida Yep, on my list to have the teams look into after we get syncing done.

I have used notes extensively in Accordance but am currently relying on competitor more due to syncing and instability.  I have lost count of the number of times I have had to recover and fix corrupted notes.   It has cost me hours of work that could be used in a more productive way.  I still have pictures/charts that disappear from notes for no reason.  Syncing is great and I have repeatedly criticized the current system, but fixing the corruption problem should be a priority not an afterthought.    What good is syncing if the files are corrupted and unreliable?  

3 hours ago, dmwebb6 said:

Syncing is great and I have repeatedly criticized the current system, but fixing the corruption problem should be a priority not an afterthought.    What good is syncing if the files are corrupted and unreliable?

Rolling out syncing is potentially going to help us spot some changes we could make in User Notes to both optimize them for syncing and improve overall reliability. 

10 hours ago, Steven S said:

Hi @blgriffin83. From my experience with user notes, the behavior you're observing is by design. Think of your notes as one contiguous run of text on a single, infinitely long page. The links in the navigation pane simply position that page in the view so that the selected heading is aligned at the top. It doesn't do any kind of filtering (e.g., only showing the notes under "Daniel" when "Daniel" is selected), thus allowing you to scroll forward or backward to notes outside the selected heading. This is the same navigation behavior implemented in text modules (e.g., Bibles) and tool modules (e.g., commentaries).

Thanks for the explanation. I get it now! Much appreciated.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steven S said:

Exactly right. You can just use the scroll bar on the right, but the selected reference on the left will be the top note on the right (where possible)

• Like 1