Atnaḥ hafukh: the lost accent

Benjamin Denckla

Why, in Accordance HMT-W4, do almost 40 verses have an accent not matching the Leningrad (or Aleppo!) Codex?

For example, below I show Job 16:4 in Accordance HMT-W4 and in MAM with doc. See if you can spot the difference.

image.png.b7261203db8136881723d424a2c322f7.png

image.png.b2d25422c47a48a58b26a56b870a695f.png

See my article, Undoing and redoing the work of the Masoretes – Part 4: Atnaḥ hafukh, if you want to know more!

10 minutes ago, Benjamin Denckla said:

Why, in Accordance HMT-W4, do almost 40 verses have an accent not matching the Leningrad (or Aleppo!) Codex?

For example, below I show Job 16:4 in Accordance HMT-W4 and in MAM with doc. See if you can spot the difference.

image.png.b7261203db8136881723d424a2c322f7.png

image.png.b2d25422c47a48a58b26a56b870a695f.png

See my article, Undoing and redoing the work of the Masoretes – Part 4: Atnaḥ hafukh, if you want to know more!

Did you check to see if Westminster has it? 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, miketisdell said:

Did you check to see if Westminster has it? 

Oh yeah, this is a problem Accordance inherits from WLC, not an Accordance-specific problem. In fact, I'm not aware of any Accordance-specific problems, i.e. AFAIK Accordance HMT-W4 is no worse than WLC. Indeed, I'm not sure Accordance has even made any changes to WLC. I.e. HMT-W4 may be both no better and no worse than WLC, because it may equal WLC.

Edited by Benjamin Denckla
  • Like 1

Is this something we need to be looking into?

54 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Is this something we need to be looking into?

HMT-W4 is a workhorse. Even with its many problems, it has served most users well, for their purposes. If users want something better, I think Accordance should "reboot" the old project of making a MAM for Accordance. This is something I can make easy for Accordance to offer because I can prepare a version of MAM in an Accordance-import-friendly format. On the other hand, if users are, by and large, satisfied with HMT-W4, warts and all, then of course there's no need for a better Hebrew Bible on the Accordance platform.

Thanks! Send me an email at nparker[at]accordancebible[dot]com (replace bracketed text with punctuation) and let's chat.

In the meantime, if you have any forum threads where you can dig up customer interest in MAM, include those with your email.