Looking up Hebrew Translation of English word

blgriffin83

How would I look up the Hebrew translation of an English word? Is it possible to just type in any word that I think might be in the Hebrew bible and find the Hebrew translation?

Hi @blgriffin83

If I am understanding what you are trying to accomplish, 

1) Start with a tagged English Bible. In my example I am using the ESV, but you can use any Bible which is TAGGED.

2) Type the word you want, then next to it type r, and it will auto populate a dropdown and click "range" and set it to gen-mal so it only captures the Hebrew words.

3) Open a Hebrew text as a parallel. You can just go though it one by one, but more practically, click that little carrot on the right next to the word count and select "Analysis"

4) This will show the analysis window to the right and will let you know all the Hebrew words translated by the English word.

I hope this helps,

Kristin

Bildschirmfoto2023-12-30um01_09_17.thumb.png.16dd0ad1d291e306dcb06b253bbca9cb.png

Ah thanks! Is there anyway to have the Analysis pane always opened but only on a specific tab?

Hi @blgriffin83,

I kind of don't think you can have it open with just one tab, as the analysis always opens to the side of the window, which would affect all tabs. I think the closest you could come to this is to dedicate a certain window with it open. So for example, you can have a window where you type in whatever words, and just always have the info page open, then you can have another window open for other tabs. Also, you can tie the windows together, so that if you type in one, it will influence the other window. So it isn't exactly the same, but might be a good work around.

I hope this helps,

Kristin

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 3:18 AM, blgriffin83 said:

How would I look up the Hebrew translation of an English word? Is it possible to just type in any word that I think might be in the Hebrew bible and find the Hebrew translation?

Dont forget your dictionaries and lexicons.

There is also km hebrew lexicon which i think is included in all collections, even the starter (mounce greek lexicon for greek words).

here you can search for the English word as definition or English content  and see its occurrences in Hebrew and then go and have a look in your different translations from the links below the definition.

another useful basic resource is the mounce expository dictionary for searching from English

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/mounces-complete-expository-dictionary-of-old-and-new-testament-words/

before you get into halot and bdag for serious study. 

5CFA37F5-AA83-4C96-8C15-C72DC163453E.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser

A third method is you could always just switch on the interlinear and see how your tagged translation is translated and click on the word to go to your lexicon or dictionary.

Within Accordance there are so many ways to achieve what you want and the way you want to work varies depending on what you are doing at the time and how deep you want to go or even where you want to go.

just be aware of certain limitations and choose the most appropriate way for that particular instance.

13D6DD05-5F4F-4A89-928C-8997F958E0DD.png

01F7DF93-D995-4D1E-99E8-EEEF2DA5475F.png

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Yes the interlinear is one of the things which does work well on the iPad - thought I ought to own up to that as I am normally so down on it

the Zohar makes a big deal of the order of the first three words - something Rashi, rightly, cautioned his students about doing 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Leopold Green said:

Yes the interlinear is one of the things which does work well on the iPad - thought I ought to own up to that as I am normally so down on it

the Zohar makes a big deal of the order of the first three words - something Rashi, rightly, cautioned his students about doing 

Yes, i remember when we finally got it, i would have been happy with something basic but the options and detail was far far greater than i was expecting and really showed the level of thought and programming that went into that particular feature. (But interlinear also works on the full fat version!)

im guessing your second comment is from the commentators bible by carasik. I am still trying to justify it along with ancient christian doctrine. One day...

Edited by ukfraser