Accordance End of 2023 Updates

Dr. Nathan Parker

I’ve posted updates across various threads on here, but it seems some of my updates have been a little buried. I’ve also received messages with various questions. I’m consolidating all of my updates posts into this single thread to make it easier for Accordance customers to read them in one post.

Accordance Desktop

•    Next update will be 14.0.9. It will address reports of “random crashes” on Windows as well as other cross-platform fixes. It’s in beta testing now. Likely we’ll see a release early 2024 once beta testing has finished.
•    We don’t have a specific ETA on Accordance 14.1, but syncing is still under active development.

Enhanced Syncing

•    I did attend a briefing on how enhanced syncing is going to function. Syncing will be a 100% in-house development. It will not rely on Dropbox, nor are we going to utilize iCloud or other third-party syncing systems (We’ve had requests to support iCloud syncing. Due to limitations from Apple, we cannot support iCloud syncing. Our enhanced syncing system will be superior to relying on Dropbox or other third-party solutions).
•    We’ve made good progress on the server-side of syncing. We’re also nailing down specific files and file types so we can sync all what customers are wanting across platforms.

Accordance Cloud

•    Accordance Cloud is still under active development. We’re at the stage where we’re enhancing searching and the ability for Accordance Cloud to offer richer support for the advantages of Accordance modules.
•    This stage is a massive engineering feat. Accordance is a well-established application, and taking years of development adapting this stage into a web platform is a monumental task.

Accordance Mobile

•    The best way to install Accordance for Android at the moment (for those who cannot install it on the Google Play Store) is to use the Amazon AppStore or download directly from our website.
•    Instead of releasing a minor update to Accordance for Android, we will offer a new Accordance for Android app based on the work that is being done with Accordance Cloud. It will still be an offline app. The work being done with Accordance Cloud can also share some backend that can be used for the new Accordance for Android, as well as add new features to other apps (such as iOS) in the future.

Modules

•    We are finalizing licensing on Tyndale Commentary expansions, so those are still planned for a future release. We are working on additional commentary expansions such as BECNT.
•    Scot McKnight’s New Testament is in the works.
•    Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics has a January release (it was a little more complex to produce).
•    Customers have been asking about BHQ Leviticus. We are still awaiting a viable file from German Bible Society for it. We’re ready to produce it once we can obtain a file for it.

• Like 13

The pith of this for me is that after a a year and several months some key features advertised as part of the Accordance 14 upgrade (sync and cloud) are still under active development. They are still described as monumental tasks with no ETA.

I do not doubt that the team members are surely working hard to achieve what was advertised and in good faith paid for in advance.

• Like 1

For me, prepaying for an upgrade to 14 has been an interesting experiment. Its certainly nice to get the above end of year status. I look forward to more releases and hopefully some interesting resources next year. 

Edited by ukfraser

I appreciate the update above, but at some point it would be nice to have something more than "under active development with no ETA".  When can we expect an ETA for features that are over a year behind schedule?   The no ETA is concerning to me because it indicates that we are not as close to the release of these features that many of us would like.  Nathan Parker said, "Accordance is a well-established application, and taking years of development adapting this stage into a web platform is a monumental task."  Does this indicate that we are a long way off from the web app promised a year ago?  Can we expect the web app in 2024 at some point in time?  Hopefully, I will be surprised in 2024 with the progress made with syncing and the web app.  If I see some progress soon, I will continue to invest in Accordance.  If the delay continues, then my money will likely be spent elsewhere.  

Edited by dmwebb6

21 minutes ago, ukfraser said:

For me, prepaying for an upgrade to 14 has been an interesting experiment.

"Interesting" is an interesting choice of an adjective! Very diplomatic. That it was an "experiment" is apropos. I am thankful for a stable version (14.0.8) for the Mac OS (i.e., no longer an experiment). The pace of updates seems much slower than in prior versions. Perhaps that reflects a certain maturity of the software.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael J. Bolesta said:

The pace of updates seems much slower than in prior versions. Perhaps that reflects a certain maturity of the software.

It's a reflection of Roy and Joel Brown's programming talent. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mark Allison said:

Quite!

I hope buried in here somewhere is a better iPad version

• Like 2

I just had an "ah ha" moment.  Are Roy and Joel related?  Never made that connection.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TyreeWD3 said:

I just had an "ah ha" moment.  Are Roy and Joel related?  Never made that connection.

Father and son.

• Like 4

Alas! Likely all too true.

• Like 3

I'm hoping to get some form of progress update on syncing and Accordance Cloud in early 2024. Once I have a new update to share, I can post it, but I wanted to consolidate what I've shared across different forum threads here since I've noticed some of my updates have been buried.

The backend work that is being done for Accordance Cloud (that contributes to a new Android app) can also be used to add functionality to other apps (including platforms that begin with "i"). 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

I'm hoping to get some form of progress update on syncing and Accordance Cloud in early 2024. Once I have a new update to share, I can post it, but I wanted to consolidate what I've shared across different forum threads here since I've noticed some of my updates have been buried.

I appreciate your efforts, Nathan.

• Like 1

Accordance also used to have a solid aversion to vaporware, and would never advertise products or features that were not ready for release.

Now, they promise all kinds of things and everybody is anxious or upset.

A.D.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Will wait 12+ months before taking advantage of the next paid upgrade. This one was misleading on all counts.

• Like 1

I wish I could have done that with macOS Sonoma and iOS 17. :-) 

On 12/30/2023 at 4:59 PM, Mark Allison said:

Also their vision for the software!

what it could achieve but then the design not only for the features but also for the user. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 6

On 12/30/2023 at 8:12 AM, JohnABarnett said:

The pith of this for me is that after a a year and several months some key features advertised as part of the Accordance 14 upgrade (sync and cloud) are still under active development. They are still described as monumental tasks with no ETA.

I do not doubt that the team members are surely working hard to achieve what was advertised and in good faith paid for in advance.

I have honestly decided that neither of the Bible Study apps I use will provide the promised features (Logos and Accordance). Between a bait and switch by Logos that resulted in a refund and the ongoing wait for promised features in Accordance 14 (an upgrade I purchased immediately based on past experience and the poor experience with the Logos upgrade), I have become very hesitant for any future paid upgrades. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the desire for new features and appreciate the need for Accordance to be financially successful. I would just like to add that stability is also a feature, perhaps the most important one. Thus, if all the announced features were already deployed, I would still be using 13 on Windows until it is far more stable. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Matthew Wilson said:

stability is also a feature, perhaps the most important one

Ummm..... stability :huh: :huh: :huh:  Would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I was considering to upgrade now to 14. Will certainly not do that. 

2 hours ago, markusvonkaenel said:

Interesting. I was considering to upgrade now to 14. Will certainly not do that. 

Markus, I wouldn’t be too concerned about upgrading to v14 on Mac. I use it constantly and rarely have stability issues. I do acknowledge that this has not been the experience of our Windows users. I would be more reluctant about upgrading to v14 on Windows at the moment. Though some recent report are that the latest beta seems more stable.  

• Like 1

Hi Markus - I would also agree with ken - have been running v14 on a Mac - both intel and apple silicon for a long time now and have had next to no stability issues with what  I do. Though I appreciate this is only my experience dn other may be different - but I am very happy I upgraded to  v14 

@markusvonkaenel

I use v.14 on Windows 11 fairly regularly. It works well most of the time for my modest requirements.

The biggest bugbear seems to be syncing, which I avoid by keeping my notes and other user-content outside Accordance.

The other issue I found is Accordance hanging when it runs out of disk space. Even this isn't a problem unless it's down to the last 2GB and trying to do something big like creating a concordance from the whole Bible.

14 on a Mac is solid, and once we release 14.0.9 for Windows, it'll solid out the main issues customers have reported.