SBL Study Bible featuring NRSVue

bobinberea

I have just received a print copy of the brand new SBL Study Bible, featuring the NRSVue. I cracked it open and my heart sank when I saw the microscopic print throughout. Please please please, somebody assure me that this will be available ASAP as module within Accordance! My aging eyeballs will be grateful!

Robert M. Fowler

• Like 5

I don't have any specific ETAs, but I'll forward it to our team.

By the way, I removed your email off the post so scammers don't pick it up and start spamming you. Anyone that wants to message you can DM you. 

Anytime I have to post my email publicly, I do it in a way that makes it harder for scammers to pick it up.

• 1 month later...

A month plus later, anything new to report on the SBL Study Bible? Hope springs eternal...

I'd also like this. Any idea when it might be available? 

I don't have an ETA, but we have a lot of customers asking about it, so our team is aware of the interest. If I have any progress to share, I can. :-)

• 1 month later...

Adding my name to the list of requests for this.  Still hoping Robert Alter's translation and notes will be added.  Same for the new JPS Psalm volume by Adele Berlin.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are into April now, and still no word on the new SBL Study Bible showing up in the Accordance collection of dandy resources? The microscopic size of the print in the printed volume has been a challenge from day one, but now I've had cataract surgery, and until that settles down, my eyesight is as bad or worse than before.  Would love to see a digital version of the SBL Study Bible!

• 1 month later...

Another month, another inquiry. I recently did a little class at church on the NRSVue, and someone informed me that the SBL Study Bible is available in Kindle. This proves to be true. <sigh> Are there good reasons I should pass on that and wait as patiently as possible for the Accordance option?

I still don't have an ETA on this one, although I sent it on for our teams to look into since we are trying to add more study Bibles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! Hoping and praying!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone following this thread should be aware of another related thread (mis?)labeled "NRSV The SBL Study Bible."

I have it at the top of the list of Study Bibles for us to look into. I'll remind my licensing manager how popular this request is. :-) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been yearning since last December. It's now July. Any word on the SBL Study Bible featuring the NRSVue?

I heaven't heard an update yet. I'll see if I can get an update next week. As you can see from other forum threads, we've had a few pieces of feedback to review recently. :-)

Monday when I ask about the Ugarit texts, I'm also going to see where we can slip this into the development queue.

• Like 2

Bless you. As fascinating as Ugaritic texts are (my Hebrew prof at the U of Chicago was deep into Ugaritic, so I know a little about the matter), I daresay the market for the NRSVue would be a wee bit larger.  😉 

We have the NRSVue already. No need to wait!

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/new-revised-standard-version-updated-edition-nrsvue/

All we need to do now is work on the SBL Study Bible Notes. That would be a separate purchase from the NRSVue anyway (we sell study Bibles and Bible notes separately). It looks simple enough that we should be able to slip it in somewhere into development.

If you've been waiting on the NRSVue though, no need to wait. You can grab it anytime you want.

I added the NRSVue to my Accordance library the instant it became available. It is now my default translation within Accordance. But the SBL Study Bible has a huge amount of essays, footnotes, etc., that go way beyond the biblical text itself.  The print on those is microscopic, however, and my aging eyeballs struggle to read that in my print copy of the study Bible.

I enjoy putting the NRSVue and the NRSV side by side, in parallel columns, so I can invoke Accordance's remarkable "Compare" function. This is a wonderful tool, but I lament being unable to consult introductory essays, footnotes, etc. etc. etc. within Accordance.

3 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

We have the NRSVue already. No need to wait!

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/new-revised-standard-version-updated-edition-nrsvue/

All we need to do now is work on the SBL Study Bible Notes. That would be a separate purchase from the NRSVue anyway (we sell study Bibles and Bible notes separately). It looks simple enough that we should be able to slip it in somewhere into development.

If you've been waiting on the NRSVue though, no need to wait. You can grab it anytime you want.

Is that a tagged version, or will that come in a future release?

4 hours ago, stighagen said:

Is that a tagged version, or will that come in a future release?

No, it's not a tagged version. Which makes no sense whatsoever. Every one of Accordance's competitors offers a tagged version. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

No, it's not a tagged version. Which makes no sense whatsoever. Every one of Accordance's competitors offers a tagged version. 

So frustrating. I wanted to use NRSVue  as my primary translation for this year (I often rotate from year to year) but need it to be tagged for that. :(

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, bobinberea said:

Bless you. As fascinating as Ugaritic texts are (my Hebrew prof at the U of Chicago was deep into Ugaritic, so I know a little about the matter), I daresay the market for the NRSVue would be a wee bit larger.  😉 

I’m not sure if you saw the latest post about Ugaritic texts. It isn’t a module request. It’s a module released in Jan. 2016 that is only about 10% complete, last updated 11/12/19. Accordance advertised that the database would be completed a few years after its release.

Less than half of UBD 1 is tagged. Not a single thing in UBD 2-9 is tagged. I know there are nuances regarding my 10% figure. I know some are just fragments, even single words here and there, but the value of the project is/would have been the tagging of the more obscure and lesser-known fragments. What has been tagged is readily available, although I enjoyed many of Peter’s original ideas. And as an aside, I assumed Peter could handle the Akkadian and Hurrian and tag the whole thing.

So while I agree there might be more interest in the SBL Study Bible with NRSVue, that is a module request and Ugaritic texts aren’t.

• Like 2

Thanks for the clarification @Michel Gilbert. I had planned to address it in this post, but you beat me to it. :-)

We'll look into the SBL Study Bible Notes. Looks to be a popular request.

On a tagged NRSVue, once I start Bible development and get more comfortable, I'll see if this is something I could try working on. I won't make any personal promises until I actually start Bible development, but I'm willing to at least research it and see what it involves.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 11:47 AM, bobinberea said:

Anyone following this thread should be aware of another related thread (mis?)labeled "NRSV The SBL Study Bible."

I started that thread at the beginning of the year.

• Like 1

I gave this one an extra push today.

• Like 1