Eerdman's is withdrawing "Ancient Wisdom"

Mark Allison

Eerdman's is withdrawing Ancient Wisdom by Walter T. Wilson. It's only been in print about a year. If you want to buy it, you'd better do it now. 

From Eerdman's: "Eerdmans adheres to the highest standards with regard to proper documentation in its academic books. This book does not meet those standards."

https://eerdword.com/withdrawing-ancient-wisdom/

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/ancient-wisdom-wilson/

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1

Thanks for the update!

• Like 1

I'm not finding any discussion online of what was questionable in citation/lack thereof. Does anyone know how extensive the issues were? If it's just a couple passages, I could see it getting a revision and new printing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sean Nelson said:

I'm not finding any discussion online of what was questionable in citation/lack thereof. Does anyone know how extensive the issues were? If it's just a couple passages, I could see it getting a revision and new printing.

I was searching also, i wondered what they said that was in question.

1 hour ago, Sean Nelson said:

If they say they are “withdrawing” it and “declaring it out of print,” that sounds like no revisions coming, and it’s just done. I’m guessing Accordance will be hearing from Eerdmans soon (if they haven’t already) with a request to stop selling the module. 

Having watched this play out before, my guess is it would have to be fairly egregious for Eerdmans to make such a decision. Then again, any plagiarism at all (even in a few passages) is egregious. Academics know better. 

• Like 1