looking to see how much language two Hebrew Bible passages share with one another

marc brettler

I am trying to figure out how to use Accordance to determine shared vocabulary between Deut 28 and Deut 30:1-10.  I once knew how do to this, but I have forgotten.  Any leads are appreciated.  thanks--Marc Brettler

If I remember correctly, you use the HITS command

open a tab and choose all words using the *; set the range to Deut 28 and run

open a second tab, choose the search command HITS, choose the name of the first tab, then add the search RANGE set to Deut 30.1-10

run the search

‏ ‎[HITS Hebrew Bible (Biblia Hebraica) Tagged]‏ ‎[RANGE deut 30.1-10]‏

this finds almost all of the words in Deut 30.1-10

can you read these

Screenshot2023-12-01at7_54_27AM.thumb.png.3a724d5abce6328afb4ab88ed340dc93.png

Screenshot2023-12-01at7_54_46AM.thumb.png.47685d032f88176eecf9949ec8618e58.png

Edited by mbcvida
too small
  • Like 1

@mbcvida has the best solution, afaik. If you should happen to still have BibleWorks, they had a "Related Verses Tool" that allowed you to set a range, then choose which words you were looking to match (and eliminate things like conjunctions, articles...) and then find matches of various lengths.
BibelWorks also had a "Phrase Matching Tool" where you could set a range, set a phrase length, and it would find any matching phrases.

image.png

If you're looking for similar phrasing, you'd use the INFER command. 

1. In the first tab, perform a verse search for Deut. 28

2. Duplicate the tab (command-d)

3. In the second tab, create a permanent range for Deut. 30:1-10 and select it.

4. Finally, in this second tab, insert the INFER command (Search—>Enter Command—>Infer). Select how many words you want to appear in the phrase. 6 words is a good start. 

In the attached example, there are two phrases matching the criteria that appear also in Deut. 28. To find those locations, right-click on the reference for Deuteronomy 30:10 and select "Search Back Linked Text."

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 12.41.06 PM.png

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 4