Bible Translations Questions

Dr. Nathan Parker

We've seen some recent module requests concerning Bible translations.

Of the English Bibles, it seems the Modern English Version is currently the most popular English Bible translation request.

Are there any other English Bible translation requests that would be popular among Accordance users?

We've also seen some recent module requests for foreign Bible translations.

Of the requests, which would be the top few foreign language Bibles that would be the most useful to have in Accordance or that would expand Accordance's users to new areas?

I'm not specifically promising anything or providing any specific ETAs. I'm just trying to collect some customer feedback.

• Like 1

I think near the top of the list should be getting the NRSVue tagged.

A great one to get is Robert Alter's Hebrew Bible, but I understand that they are not allowing digital rights.

There are many interesting versions (Sarah Ruden's The Gospel, David Bentley Hart's NT, Scott McKnight's Second Testament), but I think that Accordance really already has the most important and helpful versions.

• Like 2

I would add 'for everyone' by goldingay/wright. The study volumes are in accordance but it would be useful to have the bible as a standalone text so that the commentaries can be run beside it. 

but agree that we probably have enough english translations and it would be good to see other languages covered. The churches and congregations i work with tend not to update their translations these days as they recently spent a lot on pew bibles which are still in good condition. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mgvh said:

I think near the top of the list should be getting the NRSVue tagged.

+1

3 hours ago, mgvh said:

I think that Accordance really already has the most important and helpful versions.

I'd also like to lobby for Accordance to correct existing English Bible modules before pursuing new ones. For example:

• The formatting in NASB 2020 is kind of a mess with paragraphs seemingly centered at random, headings appearing in the middle of verses, etc.
  • Passages in NIV 2011 that are wholly indented (typically representing a letter or correspondence in the text) have extra line breaks inserted before each verse (e.g., most of Ezra 4:9-22).

Based on past forum posts regarding what happens to correction submissions, I think expending the effort to clear out the English Bible corrections queue before tackling new translations would be very much welcome by the community.

• Like 2

Another vote for a tagged NRSVue. 
years ago I requested The Voice Bible (Thomas Nelson) I’d still like to see it in Accordance, but I recognize that it may not have the ‘votes” to make it plausible. Olive Tree has it, so it would appear the publisher is open to digital versions. 

in terms of other language Bibles, I’m most interested in a tagged French version. I know others have requested such before. 

• Like 1

Tagged NRSVue

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

We've also seen some recent module requests for foreign Bible translations.

Of the requests, which would be the top few foreign language Bibles that would be the most useful to have in Accordance or that would expand Accordance's users to new areas?

See all the posts by Fabian. Not hard to find.

Good feedback. Tagged NRSVue would be a challenge, but I'll pass it along.

We have Wright's done. Just need to get a license to sell it. Discussing that one with our teams.

Sounds good on corrections to existing English translations.

I have a lot of Fabian's feedback on foreign Bibles, plus I have a good relationship with one Bible society.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

Sounds good on corrections to existing English translations.

There are also some missing translator notes for certain volumes listed in this thread, TEV, being one. Mark had contacted the publishers before he left but there have not been any updates to indicate if someone has taken over those responsibilities and continued to chase the publishers for the missing files.

Sounds good. I put a message into asking about those. I'll followup on it as well.