Anyone Bored? Search Question

josephbradford

I'm trying to locate all singular nom nouns in Mark 1. Then, sing Acc, then pl nom, pl acc etc.
I know how to search for all of them. But I can't see how to define the range. 

I want to populate them in Analytics/concordance.

Thanks for the assist.

22 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

@josephbradford

Add [range Mark 1] to your search string.

image.png.380d3892f922a17a46d18069e4f26b1c.png

@LawrenceI notice you are using the UBS5 Sigla, do you prefer it over the NA28 Sigla? Is it because you find it easier to read in general or any other reason?

I just looked it up on the Accordance website & never noticed this before...

The critical apparatus includes exegetically significant variants (fewer than NA28) but adds extensive manuscript evidence (more than NA28) for each variant, thereby offering in-depth instruction for students on how variants and the evidence for them work together.

Edited by ReformedDoc
  • Like 1

@ReformedDoc

Well spotted. :)

And thanks for the notes about the differences.

I use UBS5 because I'm still pretty much a novice in Greek and my Bible college used the UBS5 apparatus in class in my first year Greek lessons. I've also come across the view that UBS5 caters more to students while NA28 is more popular with experts (e.g. translators). They share the same text and differ only in the apparatus, so it makes no difference when just reading the text. Having both in Accordance also means that looking up either apparatus or both is a cinch.

I mostly ignore the 'Sigla' bit. There's another seemingly-identical file in Accordance, and some features might work with the Sigla or non-Sigla variant but not the other. That's 4 variants to try: UBS5/NA28 and Sigla/non-Sigla. This has only been of any real significance when I got the Understanding NT Greek resource recently and found that the highlights file only works with NA28 non-Sigla.

Do you have a preference UBS5 or NA28?

• Like 2

I think translators use UBS5 a lot as well since the apparatus has helps for translators.

In my classes, they required the UBS5, although I bought both the UBS5 and NA28 in case I needed to use the NA28 apparatus.

I had both in print, but I donated them to a student when I finished the program and just use Accordance now.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

If you want one apparatus to rule them all, you need the CNTTS Apparatus. 

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/cntts-nt-critical-apparatus-3/

Thanks, Mark, I was going back & forth on whether I needed it or not, so now I will add it to my wish list.😁Forget the wishlist because when I just checked it was on sale so ik just went ahead and bought it.

$64.50 for 1 item:

CNTTS NT Critical Apparatus (3rd Edition)

Edited by ReformedDoc
  • Like 1

UBS4 (and I suspect UBS5) gives a rating of how certain the editors are of their choice. This is stated as A-C. This also has correspondence to Metzger's commentary on textual issues in the NT. 

NA28 does not have this.

Edited by cralford
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cralford said:

UBS4 (and I suspect UBS5) gives a rating of how certain the editors are of their choice. This is stated as A-C. This also has correspondence to Metzger's commentary on textual issues in the NT. 

NA28 does not have this.

Ahh. I see that it goes with Omansion's also...This volume is intended to be used with the fourth edition of the United Bible Societies’ Greek New Testament.

The rating in the UBS4 is indeed helpful and since the text of the UBS4 and the NA27 are essentially the same, the rating system from the UBS4 can also be cautiously carried over to the NA28. With the inclusion of the ECM for the Catholic letters in the UBS5 that has the same text as the NA28, the rating system looses some of its value because the value is being determined by the ECM. And while the UBS does have the discourse segmentation apparatus which is useful, the NA28 also has more variants than the UBS. Regarding the CNTTS apparatus, while useful to consult (e.g., when transcribing minuscule manuscripts), it is unfortunately un-citable because it contains many errors.

One other apparatus that should be consulted is the Tyndale House GNT apparatus. It will help to give a fuller picture than the NA28 and in some instances, is more accurate (see the dissertation by Dr. Nelson Hsieh who graciously took the time to explain some of the differences to me). But at the end of the day, no matter which apparatus (or combination thereof) is used, be sure to check the actual manuscripts if you are going to publish. Apparatuses are not infallible (and are biased)!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, darrylmy said:

The rating in the UBS4 is indeed helpful and since the text of the UBS4 and the NA27 are essentially the same, the rating system from the UBS4 can also be cautiously carried over to the NA28. With the inclusion of the ECM for the Catholic letters in the UBS5 that has the same text as the NA28, the rating system looses some of its value because the value is being determined by the ECM. And while the UBS does have the discourse segmentation apparatus which is useful, the NA28 also has more variants than the UBS. Regarding the CNTTS apparatus, while useful to consult (e.g., when transcribing minuscule manuscripts), it is unfortunately un-citable because it contains many errors.

One other apparatus that should be consulted is the Tyndale House GNT apparatus. It will help to give a fuller picture than the NA28 and in some instances, is more accurate (see the dissertation by Dr. Nelson Hsieh who graciously took the time to explain some of the differences to me). But at the end of the day, no matter which apparatus (or combination thereof) is used, be sure to check the actual manuscripts if you are going to publish. Apparatuses are not infallible (and are biased)!

I do have the Tyndale house apparatus which I use to check text regularly, thanks for the information.

15 hours ago, ReformedDoc said:

Thanks, Mark, I was going back & forth on whether I needed it or not, so now I will add it to my wish list.😁Forget the wishlist because when I just checked it was on sale so ik just went ahead and bought it.

$64.50 for 1 item:

CNTTS NT Critical Apparatus (3rd Edition)

Okay, another $64.50 from my bank account to Accordance. 🙂

Thanks for the heads-up on the sale. And to @Mark Allison for how much I "need" this. 🙂

And thanks to Accordance for providing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

If you want one apparatus to rule them all, you need the CNTTS Apparatus. 

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/cntts-nt-critical-apparatus-3/

Folks who use it might want to put a quick star rating and brief product review on the product page. I was surprised to see it below 3 stars, largely due to a couple of 1 star reviews both coming from the same person.

• Like 1