Side-by-side viewing of multiple passages in the same text

Vaughn Arthur

I'd like to set up a workspace where I can have the same text open to two or three different passages side by side so as to compare them (e.g., compare side by side the passages in Matthew and Mark about James and John coming to ask to sit at Jesus' right and left hand). I don't want them in different tabs, I want to have each passage visible simultaneously.

I'm not looking for a parallel Bible, sometimes I don't want to compare the same event (e.g., for example, I might want to compare the death of Saul recorded in 1 Sam. with the false narrative told to David in 2 Sam. or multiple accounts of different occasions of Jesus healing someone or casting out demons, etc.).

Any suggestions for how to do this? Thanks! 

as illustrated above, put the two texts in two different zones (zones, not tabs)

• Like 1

I do a lot of comparisons myself.  Here's one layout I have in a single workspace. This one has Compare turned on as comparison of differences to the first (ESV). 

(Edit for missing steps)

It's easy to do. With one version displaying in Accordance click on the Add Parallel button and go to Texts. Select text you want next to display. (I should note that once you add texts you can't just move a new version to the first when using Compare. The first will remain the base version. I've reported this as a bug but not sure when it may be fixed.) Continue to add versions.

You can control how each text is displayed by clicking on gear icon.  Unfortunately each version has to be set individually unless I've missed something.

resized workspace.jpg

Edited by Larry Wing
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Steven S said:

Hi @Vaughn Arthur. I may have misunderstood your question, but is something like the following what you're looking for?

workspace-matt-mark-compare.thumb.png.ddd8b4f02a30ff81ab2352f9b6074ada.png

9 hours ago, Steven S said:

Hi @Vaughn Arthur. I may have misunderstood your question, but is something like the following what you're looking for?

workspace-matt-mark-compare.thumb.png.ddd8b4f02a30ff81ab2352f9b6074ada.png

Thanks to all of you! @Steven S @mbcvida @Larry Wing Yes, this is exactly what I have in mind, but I can't figure out how to add a new zone of the same type of tool (i.e., a text). I only know how to do that from the library and when I do that, it just opens a second tab in the same zone. 

Edited by Vaughn Arthur
  • Like 1

@Vaughn Arthur It's pretty easy. With a workspace open with just a version (in my case, ESV). 

1. Click on Add Parallel in the top right corner under search bar

Screenshot2023-11-25at4_28_20PM.png.cf72eb22543038886f65f3c6d0d58648.png

2. Go to "Text" and highlight. Your installed versions will be displayed. Click on preferred and it will be added to right of existing default version.

resizedstep2.jpg.64100d581c3abf03faf413037aea3e19.jpg

14 minutes ago, Vaughn Arthur said:

Yes, this is exactly what I have in mind, but I can't figure out how to add a new zone of the same type of tool (i.e., a text).

Here's the procedure I used to create the screenshot I pasted above:

1. Open the desired text in a tab.
  2. Open a second instance of the desired text in another tab (e.g., using duplicate tab).
  3. Left-click-and-drag the second tab to the right edge of the workspace until the drop shadow is a vertical rectangle spanning the client area window height.
  4. Release the left mouse button.

After this, the second tab should now be the sole tab in a new zone to the right of the original zone.

• Like 1

@Steven S We must have been typing at the same time. I no sooner posted then I got email you'd posted. I'm glad there are a couple ways to do this.

• Like 1