Accordance crashes if internet is turned off

marco sanchez

Greetings Accordance family,

Hopefully this one is easy. Accordance crashes when I go to open it if my internet is turned off. And then it seems to lose the last thing I did. I usually just try to remember to have the internet turned on whenever I start Accordance, but sometimes I forget and I hate loosing my last updated note or what ever. So I thought I would contact the pros.

Thank you.

Marco.

Edited by marco sanchez

Just to add another data point here: I regularly start Accordance 13.3.4 (on Windows 10) without an active Internet connection and don't remember ever observing a crash at startup.

But possibly related: I have automatic checks for updates (both application and content) disabled. If you happen to have either of those checks enabled, disabling them might be something to try to see if it's the root cause of your crash.

That makes sense. I tried that. Nothing checked in the "update" preffs. and it still crashes. I wonder if there is another setting in accordance that wants the internet? Because it does not crash if the internet is on but crashes every time otherwise.

Do you have any active payment plans?

This might be overkill, but if you're familiar with network sniffing tools like Wireshark, you can use it to see what endpoint your Accordance client is trying to reach. That may give you an idea as to which feature is causing the crash.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is starting Accordance in Safe Mode and try playing with different options. For example, remove the startup session to see if there's something in your current session (e.g., an external link in a user note, perhaps?) that's triggering the buggy code causing the crash. If a new session starts without crashing, you can try rebuilding your old session one piece at a time (restarting Accordance after each iteration) until it crashes.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful here.

Thanks for that. I've noticed that Accordance will sometimes reach out to Accordance's servers at launch when there's an active payment plan, but that doesn't happen once the payment plan is paid off or if you're not using it.

Do you have automatic Dropbox syncing enabled? That's another potential area where Accordance could reach out to Internet at launch.

When Accordance crashes, if its an Accordance error box, please Cmd-C and paste here. If its from the OS, paste from the Accordance logs. This way these kinds of reports become actionable.

Holy Moly! You guys are amazing. Steven S. suggested it might be something in the start up session. When it crashes it is unable to relaunch the last session so it opens a generic page. I shut it down with out opening my saved sessions and it opens every time going  back to the one generic workspace session.

So is must be something in my work session i have set up. When I went back to my saved session and quit the program it crashed when I restarted. My work session has several work spaces with several tabs of my verse notes and user tools, both of which contain some url links within the notes. I guess Accordance knows those notes are open and must be looking for an internet connection. It must be one of my user tools with a url link because my verse notes have url links in them but the generic work space worked even though it displays my verse notes. I'll try sifting through some of this.

Thank you so much for your help.

Blessings.

• Like 1

Here are the two crash pop up windows. I tried searching for the file but couldn't find them.

Screen Shot 2023-11-19 at 11.36.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-19 at 11.37.29 PM.png

Have you also checked to ensure you're up-to-date as well?

Thanks Nathan,

I have mac os 11.7.10 and using accordance 13.3.4. I haven't updated accordance because I rely heavily on syncing to my phone and ipad. I was told to wait for an update so I don't lose the syncing.

OK sounds good. Once you're able to update, we can see if that corrects the issue, but I wonder if there's any other workaround for you in the meantime.