persistent drop box problem v 14

A. Smith

In the latest version of 14 (but really for all of v 14) I've had a persistent problem that dropbox sync doesn't work when closing the app. The dialogue box appears but shows no progress. It will stay there indefinitely. Then I stop the sync and close the box and accordance hangs. It will not quit and requires force quit. When I restart and recover, I can sync no problem. 

Did unlinking and re linking ever help? We’ll probably just replace this with enhanced syncing instead of filing a bug report on it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2023 at 11:15 PM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Did unlinking and re linking ever help? We’ll probably just replace this with enhanced syncing instead of filing a bug report on it. 

No. It didn't. 

Thanks for this. I've had a briefing on how enhanced syncing is going to work, and it's going to be superior to dealing with Dropbox.

Any update on when we will see "enhanced syncing"?  

I'll possibly have a better ETA in a few weeks. So far a lot of progress has been done on the connection between the desktop app and the server, plus we're examining what files we need to sync, examining file sizes for them, etc. 

• Like 1

I vote for synching the following:

User content (notes, tools, groups, etc.)

Library organization

Sync on my Windows was working well if I manually synced one machine at a time. But I notice now that not all my stuff gets synced properly (i.e. some is missing, but not necessarily messed up). Looking forward to an upgrade of the system. I can only imagine the headache of the code writers trying to get several operating systems to cooperate. But others are doing it, so it is possible.

@Tim Hall That's what we're planing.

@Mike Atnip It's possible but complicated. I can see where you're having the issue with multiple machines. I'm testing Proton Drive and Internxt for syncing files between all of my machines (not for Accordance stuff, just for regular work documents). iCloud hasn't played well with my Windows PC, and I don't want to keep paying separately for Dropbox when I have a Proton Unlimited and Internxt Lifetime subscription and iCloud (do I really need to pay for four cloud services?). Syncing works great between the one Windows machine and the cloud, but when I throw the two Macs into the mix, it all goes south. I believe it has to do with macOS Sonoma's implantation of "CloudStorage", and I'm letting Proton and Internxt know. The good news is Accordance's syncing system won't be utilizing that at all, so we'll be immune to at least that problem!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

@Tim Hall That's what we're planing.

@Mike Atnip It's possible but complicated. I can see where you're having the issue with multiple machines. I'm testing Proton Drive and Internxt for syncing files between all of my machines (not for Accordance stuff, just for regular work documents). iCloud hasn't played well with my Windows PC, and I don't want to keep paying separately for Dropbox when I have a Proton Unlimited and Internxt Lifetime subscription and iCloud (do I really need to pay for four cloud services?). Syncing works great between the one Windows machine and the cloud, but when I throw the two Macs into the mix, it all goes south. I believe it has to do with macOS Sonoma's implantation of "CloudStorage", and I'm letting Proton and Internxt know. The good news is Accordance's syncing system won't be utilizing that at all, so we'll be immune to at least that problem!

I recently up-subscribed to Dropbox for a work project. So far it has done well with syncing my non-accordance uploaded files. But my 3 machines are all Windows.

Hey, another reminder for the coders, which I encountered again today: Make exporting highlights available! I read through Waltke-OConnor syntax (over several months!) and highlighted a bunch of stuff and would like to export my highlights as a reminder of the high points.

Dropbox was working well for me but got a little flakey once Apple forced cloud drive apps to move to their new "CloudStorage" technology. So far since that move I've had nothing but issues with iCloud, Proton, and Internxt, and even Dropbox and OneDrive haven't been perfect. I've been restricting more of my non-Accordance file "syncing" to Windows-only for the moment (which defeats the purpose of syncing).

I'm glad our teams are going completely in-house and in the driver's seat on Accordance syncing and not have to rely on operating system-level stuff. I've spent way too much time resolving issues syncing my non-Accordance files with cloud storage solutions (time I'd rather spend producing Accordance content), that I am more convinced than ever that our team is making the optimal decision by rolling our own syncing solution for Accordance content. I know it's taking time, but it'll definitely be 100% worth it.

We will need to sync highlighting as well. Exporting of highlights is something we could also consider in the future.