Showcasing Your Favorite Features and Modules

Dr. Nathan Parker

I'm going to continue to produce regular video content for Accordance (product overviews, training videos, QuickTip videos, etc). I thoroughly enjoy producing these videos, and I have fun doing them. In fact, I just finished a ton of new videos tonight.

However, it would also be super fun to hear from some of you on how you use your favorite features or modules in Accordance.

If any of you want to produce anything (they can be short, such as a few minutes or slightly longer), feel free to DM or email me what you produce (my email is nparker[at]accordancebible[dot]com, replace bracketed text with punctuation), we could feature some of your submissions under "Tips for Users" or on social media.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

it would also be super fun to hear from some of you on how you use your favorite features or modules in Accordance.

Okay, here are some of my favorite modules:

(1) Leningrad Codex Images

Prod ID: Leningrad Codex Images / Pub. West Semitic Research (LINK#1)

(2) Masora Thesaurus

Prod ID: Masora Thesaurus (LINK#2)

(3) Biblia Hebraica with Westminster Hebrew Morph 4

Prod ID: HMT-W4 (LINK#3)

(4) Grammatical Syntax add-on to HMT-W4

Prod ID: HMT-W4.syntax / Pub. OakTree Software (LINK#4)

(5) Biblia Hebraica Quinta

And, here are some my favorite features (in no particular order):

• Construct search pane
  • The Character palette 
  • Ability to search on the accent marks of the Hebrew Bible
  • Accordance GUI
  • analysis graph

Grace and Peace,

Brian

• Like 2

Thanks!

@Nathan Parker Something else that needs to be said In today's world as more and more BibleSoftware companies are starting to have intuitive Mac/Accordance like GUIs it is easy to forget just how unique and ground breaking Accordance's GUI and graphical construct query/search has been for many years. Back in the mid 1990's Accordance already had the graphical construct search, while all the other power software players either had a command line like search and one company had a search template with pull down list to select. Accordance made it possible for people to search without need to master esoteric commands. What is more is that the Construct search allowed for one to easily do boolean searches on strings of words and to select the morphological features of each word and some relationship with each of words in the search to create a virtual syntax search. Right now there is only one other Bible software company that has graphical search (there used to be another company, too) and they did so well after Accordance introduce the concept in the 1990s. I still find Accordance construct search to be superior in easy over the other company graphical searches. For me the greatness of Accordance's GUI is that while using Accordance I forget that there is a GUI.

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell
  • Like 1

Indeed!

• Like 1

My favorite Accordance feature is the interface between the scripture text and commentaries.  As you scroll through a scripture text, applicable references pop up in the info tab.  If all Accordance did was that, it would be worth every penny. But of course, Accordance does a lot more.

My second favorite feature is that when you highlight a word in an English text, the corresponding original language word is highlighted in the Hebrew or Greek text.  That is extremely helpful not just for exegesis, but for those of us who are learning Hebrew and Greek.

There are many other great features, but those two are at the top of my list.

Grits 

• Like 1

I absolutely love the info pane. The ability to command-click to open the referenced resource in a secondary tab is also great (now if only there were a setting to untie it by default…).

This is a Mac-only feature, but I love the ability to pin resources—and whole workspaces (with, e.g., a variety of lexica)—to the menu bar.

I also really appreciate having a navigator to integrate web pages into the Accordance UI. The navigator itself could be improved, but having it is a great feature.

Edited by Donald Cobb
  • Like 1

Construct is definitely a win. Just this morning I was thinking about the imperfect tense in relation to backgrounding in Mark. Simple search with clear results points furthered the DA of what Mark intended. 

I routinely use a window with multiple English translations in parallel to compare translations. This is useful for seeing how the audience is used to hearing it. Cross highlighting makes this even better. 

Also 

NIDNTTE  or New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and Exegesis: Moisés Silva — Revising Editor, Second edition. Zondervan  Grand Rapids, Michigan

And 

ZONDERVAN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIBLE The Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible (ZEB) Merrill C. Tenney, General Editor / Moisés Silva, Revision Editor Zondervan

Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 04.25.58.png

Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 04.27.53.png

Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 04.34.53.png

I find it useful to use English Textual Apparatuses while using English translations with Greek or the Net bible with Net Notes. I also like keeping the info pane open so all related modules are opened simultaneously.

image.thumb.png.85989839092dcadd51fbd113a63fc50f.pngimage.thumb.png.24140d41e530db88a898c4245c242a9e.png

I always felt that the "into pane" was more a pain then a pane, but you (ye, y'all) have here convinced me to give it a spin. I think I will like it after all! I wish there was a way to rearrange how the items are listed in it, though. I would like the apparatus to appear first in the list, but not a big deal.

22 minutes ago, Mike Atnip said:

I always felt that the "into pane" was more a pain then a pane, but you (ye, y'all) have here convinced me to give it a spin. I think I will like it after all! I wish there was a way to rearrange how the items are listed in it, though. I would like the apparatus to appear first in the list, but not a big deal.

I won't argue with you on being able to set the info pane in an order that fits your own personal workflow would be great. I think that would be useful & something I believe might not be a major process to get done. But, I don't know computer programming, I am just a bible software nerd & that I do know.😁

35 minutes ago, Mike Atnip said:

I would like the apparatus to appear first in the list, but not a big deal.

Click and drag.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tony Lawrence said:

Click and drag.

I thought I had moved my commentaries like that in the past, thanks for the reminder.

1 hour ago, Tony Lawrence said:

Click and drag.

I guess since you don't see it moving in the process of dragging you don't think anything is happening. But it works! Great tip. Thanks!

• Like 1

Another good idea for a QuickTip video. :-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Another good idea for a QuickTip video. 🙂

Yes sir, as I watch bible software forums I see many times people ask for things that the software already does, they are just not aware of the features.

3 hours ago, Tony Lawrence said:

Click and drag.

@Nathan Parker,

This is the way the "wordstudy" tab should work. 

After dragging the features in the info pane into the order I like, it AUTOMATICALLY remembers my choices and opens correctly the next time!

Hope you could do the same with the word study tab!

• Like 2

Sounds good. I'll add that to the feature request.

• Like 3