Dictionary of the New Testament Use of the Old Testament

ReformedDoc

Accordance has these available,...

• A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • Handbook on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament: Exegesis and Interpretation

But not the Dictionary, why is that? 

• Dictionary of the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
Edited by ReformedDoc
  • Like 3

Thanks! I'll ask.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks! I'll ask.

I have them all in Accordance except the Dictionary & there is also this one that I have from the other guys.

image.png.2532b8e48ecf7347556ca552e5a19936.png

Thanks! If you want to put in a module request for that one as well, you can.

7 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks! If you want to put in a module request for that one as well, you can.

@Nathan ParkerDone!

• 1 month later...

We're going to have some good news on this one coming up, so stay tuned. :-)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Reviving this thread to see interest.

21 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Reviving this thread to see if there is interest in it.

On 1/8/2024 at 3:25 PM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

We're going to have some good news on this one coming up, so stay tuned. 🙂

GREAT!

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MacMan said:

Just installed

I hope you are enjoying it. So far ive only dipped into it but the articles i have read i am really appreciating their structure and detail. This is a resource i can see myself using a lot!

@ukfraser  @MacMan What are your thoughts on the other volumes in the set that are on sale now?

Larry,

The commentary is really good and i use it all the time, one of those must have volumes and the two reviews are worth reading.

i have the revelation commentary and hidden but now revealed but not used them extensively but am pleased i have them.

i havent invested in the other volumes and keep thinking about new testament theology but have too many other volumes to chug through first so one day....

Edited by ukfraser

I did a video that shows all the volumes. I like the Commentary and Handbook. I read the Handbook during my PhD program, and the Commentary is useful to go along with the Dictionary.

I'd recommend grabbing them (plus it helps contribute to my chicken sandwich fund). 🙂 

• Like 1

@Dr. Nathan Parker Any link to your video? I suppose I could look for it but am particularly lazy this week.

For those of you who have/use the dictionary, what is the key benefit of this dictionary vs the array of the other dictionaries I already have? (Especially if one already has the commentary and handbook?) 

I found your video. Not as lazy as I thought. 

16 hours ago, JonathanHuber said:

For those of you who have/use the dictionary, what is the key benefit of this dictionary vs the array of the other dictionaries I already have? (Especially if one already has the commentary and handbook?) 

I have the commentary but not the handbook. The approach of the dictionary compliments the commentary. For example ive looked at messiah, priest and image and the definitions bring the scripture together rather than looking at a new testament passage and then seeing which scripture it references so its useful as a dictionary and a different approach compared to for example, nidotte or Eerdmans or their early judaism volume.

As he's a co editor, I hope Ben will chip in. I have only just dipped into it but this is from the introduction, and its worth having a look at a couple of screen shots on the product page to see the way starting from the nt it quotes the use in scripture in the definition rather than the more usual way that dictionaries define a word.

This dictionary is written with its companion volume in mind, the Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament (CNTUOT). That book carefully investigates how each NT book quotes and alludes to the OT, highlighting the various hermeneutical permutations of the OT. This present volume continues that examination but on a synchronic level. More book-by-book reflection is needed. Where the CNTUOT examines each quotation and major allusion diachronically, a significant portion of this dictionary does so synchronically. The CNTUOT considers only how the NT uses the OT; it does not address how the OT uses the OT. This project attempts to redress this omission by furnishing separate essays on the use of the OT in each OT book.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 3

The DNTUOT includes:

✓ 35 surveys of the use of the OT in the OT (e.g., the use of the OT in Jer.)

✓ 19 surveys of the use of the OT in the NT (e.g. the use of the OT in Matt.)

✓ 53 biblical-theological essays (e.g., covenant, image of God)

✓ 22 essays related to inner-biblical exegesis (typology, letter couriers, etc.)

✓ 7 essays on Jewish exegesis (e.g., use of the OT in the Pseud.)

✓ 5 theology essays (e.g., theological interp.)

• Like 3

I wish I had this when writing my PhD dissertation. Since I'll be publishing it, I may need to consult this and see if there's anything else I want to add. :-)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ben Gladd said:

The DNTUOT includes:

✓ 35 surveys of the use of the OT in the OT (e.g., the use of the OT in Jer.)

✓ 19 surveys of the use of the OT in the NT (e.g. the use of the OT in Matt.)

✓ 53 biblical-theological essays (e.g., covenant, image of God)

✓ 22 essays related to inner-biblical exegesis (typology, letter couriers, etc.)

✓ 7 essays on Jewish exegesis (e.g., use of the OT in the Pseud.)

✓ 5 theology essays (e.g., theological interp.)

Hi, Ben,

I would like to check the table of contents before I buy, but I can’t find it anywhere online. Can you provide it?

I want to know who the authors are and I’m wondering if all the essays and surveys are new.

Thanks,

Michel

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 11:39 AM, Larry Wing said:

@ukfraser  @MacMan What are your thoughts on the other volumes in the set that are on sale now?

I have had the hardcover of the commentary for a while but only recently purchased it and the handbook for Accordance. Their value depends upon your exegetical workflow. Since I have a section in my Heuristic Exegesis course dedicated to OT Quotations and Allusions, I will likely be requiring at least the Handbook in future offerings. The main value is in their bringing out sometimes hidden allusions. (I use Hebrews 12 as an example in class.) Also, the citations make these works immensely helpful in showing students how to use extrabiblical sources for literary context without treating them as quasi-inspired.

• Like 1