Recommended Books for Studying Theology

Dr. Nathan Parker

An Accordance user asked me about some recommended Accordance books for studying Theology. Here are the recommendations I gave him. I thought I'd also post it here in case anyone else found it useful:

• NAC Studies offers some very useful volumes. I used one of them in my PhD dissertation.
  • Zondervan Counterpoints Series or the Perspectives Series is useful if you want to study various positions on theological topics.
  • Bavinck’s, Hodge’s, or Berkhof’s Systematic Theology is good for Reformed.
  • Horton’s Systematic is good for a Pentecostal position.
  • Bird’s Evangelical Theology is a good general Systematic Theology.
  • Calvin’s Institutes (Battles is what you want) is a solid read to fully understand Calvin’s position.
  • Chafer’s Systematic Theology is good for Dispensationalism. 
  • Erickson’s Christian Theology is one I use frequently.
  • I also enjoyed Learning Theology with the Church Fathers.
  • Moody Handbook of Theology is one of my favorites.
  • Olsen’s Arminian Theology is also useful.
  • Packer’s Concise Theology is short but also useful.
  • Ryrie’s Basic Theology is one of my most-used works.
  • Strong’s Systematic Theology offers a useful discussion on Ecclesiology from a Baptist perspective.
  • A Theology for the Church is a good Southern Baptist Systematic Theology
  • You can still read Grudem’s, but Systematic Theologians don’t consider it an actual Systematic Theology.
  • Writing Research Papers in Theology may also be useful for you.
  • I also recommend having a copy of a Little Book for New Theologians, Evangelical Dictionary of Theology, and Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms.
  • I’d also recommend the Theological Journal Library. Even what’s currently available in Accordance will be super-useful for you. 

December’s newsletter will be written by me on studying Theology as well.

And don't forget the good ol' Bible. 😉

Indeed!

A bit off from the focus of initial list, but as they are on sale, i would add nidotte and nidntte. 

17 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

An Accordance user asked me about some recommended Accordance books for studying Theology. Here are the recommendations I gave him. I thought I'd also post it here in case anyone else found it useful:

• Horton’s Systematic is good for a Pentecostal position.

Might want to clarify this. Stanley Horton's is a Pentecostal position. Mike Horton's (The Christian Faith) is Reformed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JonathanHuber said:

Might want to clarify this. Stanley Horton's is a Pentecostal position. Mike Horton's (The Christian Faith) is Reformed.

True. I was looking at the titles in Accordance when I compiled this. Thanks for the clarification! 

5 hours ago, ukfraser said:

A bit off from the focus of initial list, but as they are on sale, i would add nidotte and nidntte.

They are super useful. I use them regularly in word studies.