Native OS Syncing

Vaughn Hart

So there have been receptive issues with syncing over DropBox on many versions of Accordance and Mac OS. And I know that Accordance is developing their own platform but what I'd prefer is a native OS sync. In other words, Mac OS and iOS all access iCloud natively. If you write for the OS, then you can write for any file system the OS recognizes... which means native iCloud support should be a simple thing. iCloud is even available for Windows. 

On the Windows side, what about writing native to OneDrive, which tends to have its own built-in client for Windows OS. Granted Windows Mobile is dead but there is an OneDrive client for Mac OS/iOS.

My second concern is privacy on this new platform that Accordance is building. I like keeping my stuff on my own systems I control. And I don't need another subscription service just for one program. Plus the development time is really long when there are existing systems that are already integrated into the applications. If you're writing your files to Mac OS and iOS, then it should be really simple to sync to iCloud or OneDrive (though OneDrive may be different with Sharepoint files names and authentication). 

Thank you.

-Vuaghn

We can't do iCloud syncing since it would require us to cede more control over to Apple by hosting the app on the Mac App Store and dealing with their "sandboxing" requirements. We couldn't provide an overall solid user experience and implement iCloud syncing by Apple's current rules.

Wordsearch had OneDrive syncing on Windows, and it wasn't a smooth process either. It was clunky (like our reliance on Dropbox),

Moving our syncing in-house will give us a far-better experience than relying on third-party solutions. We'll also take privacy seriously and document how we'll handle privacy with enhanced syncing. 

There will also not be a subscription service for enhanced syncing. If you have Accordance 14, you'll simply update to a version with enhanced syncing and get it.

• Like 1

Nathan.... thank you! Will it resume syncing on what I have on Dropbox? and on iCloud? Or will I have to move stuff and manually merge them?

Good question! I don't know that at the moment, but once we are closer to releasing it, I'll let you know.

On 11/11/2023 at 1:50 PM, Vaughn Hart said:

And I know that Accordance is developing their own platform but what I'd prefer is a native OS sync. In other words, Mac OS and iOS all access iCloud natively. If you write for the OS, then you can write for any file system the OS recognizes... which means native iCloud support should be a simple thing. iCloud is even available for Windows. 

On the Windows side, what about writing native to OneDrive, which tends to have its own built-in client for Windows OS. Granted Windows Mobile is dead but there is an OneDrive client for Mac OS/iOS.

With Accordance available on many platforms, the last thing I'd want is to have to install a platform-specific client that may or may not work or be available just to access Accordance data from another platform.

Much cleaner to have your own sync solution.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dandennison said:

With Accordance available on many platforms, the last thing I'd want is to have to install a platform-specific client that may or may not work or be available just to access Accordance data from another platform.

Much cleaner to have your own sync solution.

Amen!

So . . . coming next month . . . ?

15 hours ago, A. Smith said:

So . . . coming next month . . . ?

I think given the reactions around overpromising and underdelivery, the Accordance team has done a good job lately of not announcing things before their time.

Patience.

• Like 1