Saved options in "Range" for Greek word search have disappeared since updating to latest version of Accordance

Philip Richardson

In a Greek text like "Greek NT (tagged)" and "NA Greek NT (Sigla)", you can search for a Greek word in the text and specify the "range". The options that appear to me now are "New Testament" "Gospels", "Acts", "Epistles" Revelation" but I used to have many more options e.g. Pauline Epistles, Synoptic Gospels, Johannine Literature, Luke-Acts, plus each book of the NT as a separate option. These personalized options were shared with me by an Accordance trainer years ago by USB drive. These options have now disappeared – presumably when I updated to the latest version of Accordance. Does anyone know why this has happened and whether I can get them back, or do I need to create them all again from scratch? Thanks for your help.

I think you simply need the Custom Ranges file from the Accordance Exchange:

https://www.accordancefiles1.com/exchange/

I have it loaded into my copy of Accordance, and it's working for me on 14.0.8.

Thank you, Nathan. That's very helpful. I did not know that Accordance Exchange exists! I followed the link you sent me and could not see the Custom Ranges file. I also opened the various other tabs that appear at the top of the screen and searched through the list of files but could not see what I was looking for. Did I miss it or is it listed as something else? I also wondered why that disappeared from my work screen after I updated to the latest version? That has not happened before with previous updates.

I'm not sure why it disappeared from your machine after an update. Mine never did. 

I found it here:

https://www.accordancefiles1.com/exchange/highlights.htm

The one for 12 should work for you.

Thank you, Nathan. I'm still struggling with the instructions to install. They read: "Instructions to install: Replace the Search Ranges file in the Accordance Preferences folder (in user/Library/Preferences for OS X)" but I can't seem to find the Accordance Preferences folder to start with! Thanks.

Hi Phillip, from the Mac Finder, hold down option and click on the "Go" menu.

You will see in the menu drop-down the item "Library". Select it and a folder will open.

In that folder you will see an item "Preferences"

In there you will see a folder "Accordance Preferences"

and in that file list you will see a file "Search Ranges.apref" 

That is the file to replace. *.apref may not be on the end of the file, it may be just called "Search Ranges".

Alternatively open a terminal and at the command prompt type (you can copy and paste the entire line below).

open ~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences/

and then press return.

Then the folder containing the appropriate Search Ranges file will open.

Let me know how you go with this.

Thank you, Ken, for that very clear explanation. That did it – success! Thanks again.