Inflected search not working on certain words

Accordance Enthusiast

None of the words marked in red can be search with an inflected search, whether manually or automatically.

The automatic Amplify > Inflected does not even open a new search window!

image.thumb.png.55666b612972284ed62daa8d22acb8a5.png

Can you give me the steps to reproduce this bug?

• Like 1

As far as I tested, every word found in this search cannot be amplified to INFLECTED search.

See attached workspace.

The problem is not just in the App, because whenever I try to find a word that looks like a feminine plural noun with second singular feminine pronominal suffix via INFLECTED search rather than TAG search, it does not find anything!

Workspace for reproducing INFLECTED search bug.accord

Thanks! I'll show this to someone. Might be an issue with the module itself.

• Like 1

Because the HMT-W4 does not assign a lexical form to suffixes, when you amplify by Lexeme, Accordance will insert the [SUFFIX] tag after the main lexical form. Inflected searches for suffixes appear to be pretty finicky. I suspect it's because of the preceding vowel, but I’m not entirely sure. I don’t see why Accordance can’t insert the SUFFIX tag as in the lexical search so that the amplification works as expected. The trick would be to format the search so that the main word is enclosed in quotations but the SUFFIX tag appears after the quotes.

We'll report this as a feature request, but in the meantime, your best bet is to amplify by lexeme rather than inflected. I assume you're choosing inflected because the SUFFIX tag alone is not specific enough, but you can place your cursor inside the close bracket of the SUFFIX tag and type " sec sing" to refine the search.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

@David Lang,

Thanks a lot for your advice.

However, my mission was actually to find similar words by vowels in an INFLECTED search. 

Because my manually inserted vowels and wildcards etc. did not produce the expected results, I turned to the Amplify option.

I hoped that the Amplify > inflected would show how the word should be formatted in the search argument vs. in the text itself.

So basically I hoped that the App or text would be modified to allow such searches to be obtained automatically as expected from the Amplify > INFLECTED feature.

I finally got it figured out manually, but the automatic feature should really produce the same results:

image.thumb.png.7d83d5c0840805383cfbf8fd859b269a.png

I did not want to use the tags feature because I am researching ambigus / confusing forms as the one above, is this noun it singular or plural? It does not have the expected Cholem for the plural, but the suffix is attached as if to a plural noun.

So the tagging might even differ from module to module, and the tagging cannot be narrowed to find only such unusual spellings.

Hope it makes sense now.

• 3 months later...

@Dr. Nathan Parker, do you have this issue on the list of bugs that need to be corrected? As shown in my post above, it can be done, but the Accordance AMPLIFY feature cannot reproduced it automatically.

I'll check.

By the way, do you have the specific steps to reproduce and Accordance and OS versions? I'll be asked all of that. :-)

3 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

By the way, do you have the specific steps to reproduce and Accordance and OS versions?

Thanks for looking into this @Dr. Nathan Parker .

Windows 10, Accordance 14.09 (and all versions I've used recently).

To reproduce: Click on any of the words marked in RED below (use references to find the words if you need), then right-click and search for INFLECTED. The search does not do anything. (See my posts above for more info and reasons and proof that it can be done manually)

image.thumb.png.55666b612972284ed62daa8d22acb8a5.png

Thanks! I'll test this Wednesday.

• Like 1

I tested this, and I can reproduce it. I hear an "error" tone, but nothing else happens.

It has been officially reported.

• Thanks 1