Accordance QuickTip Videos

Dr. Nathan Parker

Starting in November, I'll be producing a weekly series of Accordance "QuickTip" videos. They'll be only a couple minutes long maximum to start out. They'll be available on the "Tips for Users" section here, as well as we'll probably feature them in email newsletters, social media, etc. 

I have a handful of basic topics lined up for November. What are some other "quick training" topics you'd like to see featured?

These won't be too lengthy or elaborate. These will be short videos that show you how to use different features in Accordance without getting overly long-winded.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Nathan Parker

With the recent posts regarding Greek syntax highlighting, it would be useful to see a visual demonstration of @mgvh's workaround to highlight on/off toggling.

• Like 3

Great feedback. Thanks!

Screenshot2023-10-27at4_20_22PM.thumb.png.75f593fe8e92ef348966bdaa3b5e25ee.png

8 hours ago, Lawrence said:

@Nathan Parker

With the recent posts regarding Greek syntax highlighting, it would be useful to see a visual demonstration of @mgvh's workaround to highlight on/off toggling.

Hi, Lawrence in the accordance exchange you can download the High-light file 'toggle off high-lights'. 

1. Download the file at the bottom of this post.

2. Place the file in your high-lights folder which is listed in your system's Accordance Files folder (mine is in my documents

3. Then to access your high-lights (if you are on Mac); Go to the top of your screen and in the window drop-down menu,  hover over high-lights; select high-light file, and make a choice (see screenshot above).   

Accessing high-lights that way is the most efficient way to turn high-lights on and off. 

After you are done with high-lights repeat the same process and select toggle off high-lights

Note: I do not use high-lights in the 'floating window' which can be accessed by the 'toolbar' because it can act buggy once you 'toggle off high-lights'.

For some reason, It will not give you the option to turn high-lights back on once you select toggle off high-lights (confusing I know). 

See the screenshot below to see what I mean:

ToggleOffHighlights.hlt

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 4.16.24 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 4.16.35 PM.png

Edited by Rick55
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you want to download more high-lights from the accordance exchange but are unsure how to find them

Here are some high-light files to download/place in your highlight folder,  to get started.

1. Herods.hlt Study of the Herods - Thank you, Mark Alison (v12 required)  

2. Morphological Coding.hlt - Thank you, Mark Hoffman 

3.Markers.hlt - Thank you, David Lane 

Edited by Rick55
  • Thanks 1

Hi Lawrence, I am led to share this with you and whoever is interested. 

Sorry for any miscommunication, but I recommend having highlights featured on the toolbar because you are able to see your highlight styles. 

To learn more about the words that are highlighted in Greek (with the Morphological coding highlight for example),

a helpful recommendation is to utilize the 'styles command'.

This command is often overlooked, but it is how you search for your highlight styles in accordance. 

This can be helpful when studying Greek with morphological coding because,

For just one example:

If you would like to search for where participle nominatives are used in the Greek New Testament all you have to do is:

1. Open up the NA28 paralleled with the KJV and ESV (or your preferred texts; just make sure they are tagged with the Strong's Concordance)   

2. Make sure your morphological coding is engaged via highlights 

3. Use the styles command (cmd + shift + s) and type in one of your highlight styles in this case I typed in "ParticipleNominati…

I would have typed ParticipleNominative but this particular morphological has it listed as "ParticipleNominati…" and the style command requires to you spell your style exactly as it is displayed in your highlight styles. 

This will then show you where a participle can have a nominative case in the Greek New Testament.

Note: I narrowed the scope by setting the range to the third chapter of the Gospel according to John 

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 7.47.58 PM.png

Edited by Rick55
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you in advance for the Accordance "QuickTip" videos! I really hate having to watch a 90-minute video just to learn about some obscure feature.

• Like 1

They'll be a little basic this month while I warm up with them, but I'm open to suggestions on them.

• Like 2

True. I like it. Keep the tips coming @Rick55! I could put some of these into videos.

• Like 2