A Solid Resource!

ReformedDoc

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

I'll ask.

• Like 2

Check this thread linked below... Apparently there may have been some issue with the highlight file not installing in the proper folder.

I have the updated file you can download directly.
Here's what it should look like:

image.png.5502935f6a66426cdd7e767b9ff9a21c.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately, the ACC 14 on my Mac still can't open the highlight file.

It works now. Sorry about that.

Edited by Chun Kit Chris Wong
  • Like 2

@mgvh

How does the highlighting work? Is it possible to turn it on and off easily?

I'm thinking of buying this resource but would like to use it on demand rather than have my texts permanently marked up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lawrence said:

@mgvh

I'm thinking of buying this resource but would like to use it on demand rather than have my texts permanently marked up.

It is a simple off-and-on, in fact, you can download a toggle off & on at Accordance Exchange.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ReformedDoc said:

It is a simple off-and-on, in fact, you can download a toggle off & on at Accordance Exchange.

I have made a feature request to make it easier to toggle off highlights. In the meantime, I created the toggle off highlights file and shared it on the exchange.
I have attached it here to save you the trip there! Again, just make sure it goes in your Highlights folder.

ToggleOffHighlights.hlt

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lawrence said:

@mgvh

The highlighting file is a separate entity that can be turned on/off and does not permanently mark up your text. Use the toggle on/off file in the post above. Do note that my UNTG2 file requires the NA28 text. (Highlighting files are specific to the text on which the highlighting was applied and does not crossover to other texts.) It doesn't affect any of your other highlighting files.
It's helpful to be able to make a variety of highlighting files. E.g., I'll attach one here that disambiguates all those Herods in the NT. (Great, Antipas, Agrippas...)

Herods.hlt

• Like 1

One other thing to note about Highlight files. Using the STYLE command, you can search for a particular highlight style. E.g., using my UNTG2 highlights, you can search and find all the conditional statements in the NT.

Each highlight color has a matching colored header in the grammar. I tell my students to look for the gold indicative verbs first, since that is often the main verb. Accordance gives the analysis in the instant details. In the grammar, the options are presented for possible ways that particular grammatical element can be translated, implications of the syntax, etc.

image.thumb.png.046e55abc579d8dff83c899e58de6b6a.png

• Like 1

I have enjoyed having this tool. Is there a way to turn off certain highlights and leave others? I find the colors overwhelming en masse but want to have a few of them up all the time. To do so temporarily I just turned those I do not want to see white (and left the background of the text white). A workaround...but functional. 

• Like 1

@Chun Kit Chris Wong What module do you want a screenshot on? I'll post it and also whip up a screencast about it.

never mind. Prof. Mark Hoffman has posted the screenshot already. But please update the product page with a clear hi-res screenshot. thanks

Edited by Chun Kit Chris Wong

Thanks! I have a request in to update the product page. I can do a screen recording overview of it as well. Is this the one you're referring to?

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/understanding-new-testament-greek-learning-greek-for-translation-and-exegesis-using-accordance-bible-software-and-resources-hoffman/

Great. I'll record it tomorrow and send it into our teams to add it to the website.

8 hours ago, Gary Pauley said:

I have enjoyed having this tool. Is there a way to turn off certain highlights and leave others? I find the colors overwhelming en masse but want to have a few of them up all the time. To do so temporarily I just turned those I do not want to see white (and left the background of the text white). A workaround...but functional. 

Yes! I have made this a feature request in the past. (It's on the forum here somewhere.) What I want is a 'collection' of highlights, and within that collection you can toggle on/off specific highlights you want.

In the meantime, some of the things can be easily searched and you can create your own highlight file. (E.g., indicative verbs, participles, infinitives...)

For the ones which I've identified as syntactic constructions, use a STYLE search and then create a separate file for them.

• Like 3

On 10/27/2023 at 2:46 AM, Gary Pauley said:

@mgvh

I've purchased the resource and downloaded the highlight file and it works well with the book in this combination:

• NA28 (not the Sigla version)
  • UnderstandingNTG highlighting (accessed from the Window menu)
  • Understanding New Testament Greek (book) - index is colour-coded to the highlight file

Thanks for creating these resources.

There's also a "Morphological Coding.hlt" file in Accordance Exchange that lists you as its contributor. Its highlights show in NT28 but not your book. At first glance, it looks very similar to UnderstandingNTG.hlt without the grey highlighting. Is it an earlier version of UnderstandingNTG or something completely separate? How is the Morphological Coding highlight file intended to be used?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawrence said:

@mgvh

I've purchased the resource and downloaded the highlight file and it works well with the book in this combination:

• NA28 (not the Sigla version)
  • UnderstandingNTG highlighting (accessed from the Window menu)
  • Understanding New Testament Greek (book) - index is colour-coded to the highlight file

Thanks for creating these resources.

There's also a "Morphological Coding.hlt" file in Accordance Exchange that lists you as its contributor. Its highlights show in NT28 but not your book. At first glance, it looks very similar to UnderstandingNTG.hlt without the grey highlighting. Is it an earlier version of UnderstandingNTG or something completely separate? How is the Morphological Coding highlight file intended to be used?

Yes, that Morphological Coding file was an early version before I wrote the grammar. The next was UnderstandingNTG that was released with the grammar module

The latest version is UnderstandingNTG2 which I have attached here. It has everything from the previous version and adds a bit more.

UnderstandingNTG2.hlt

• Thanks 1

I'm preparing an overview screencast tonight. @mgvh If you want to prepare any other screencasts we can add to the page, you're welcome to send them to us.

• Like 2