Could someone please help me with the "READ ME" file for the Kaufman Mishna module?

Accordance Enthusiast

Hi, I have the Mishnah modules installed. I also tried deleting them and re-installed them. But I do not have a read me file for the Tagged Kaufman Mishnah.

The information indicates that there should be a MIS-T read me first file, but I cannot find it.

@Nathan Parker, if no one else respond perhaps you have access to this file?

OK, I found it in the "Accordance Module Info" module, but the Read Me file is not available. I'll share it here in case someone else needs it:

MISH-T: Important notes for the grammatically tagged Mishna based upon the Kaufmann manuscript

November, 2008

Introduction

This module is represents a grammatically tagged transcription of the Kaufmann A 50 manuscript of the Mishna, which is in the Library of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary. The text was transcribed from Faksimile—Ausgabe des Mischnacodex Kaufmann A 50, mit Genehmigung der Ungarischen Akademie der Wissenschaften in Budapest which was edited by Georg Beer (The Hague, 1929).

The Kaufmann codex is usually dated to the eleventh to twelfth centuries and contains 286 leaves, lacking but one (Keritot 3.7-5.2) of being complete. Aside from this one leaf it is the oldest complete Mishna manuscript and thus of great importance. This module makes it readily available for the first time.

Both the transcription and the grammatical tagging was done by graduate students at Trinity Western University, BC, CANADA under the supervision of Martin G. Abegg, Jr. and Casey A. Toews.

Updates and Corrections

Please note that the MISH-T continues to be a work in progress. After nearly three years of preparation we decided in the fall of 2003 that it was accurate enough to be helpful to scholars as the oldest witness to the Mishna and the first grammatically tagged edition of this important Jewish text. In this past year we have completed a rough lexical review of the file and corrected several thousand tagging errors and updated the gloss file as well. We also began another proofing of the text against the plates. Several users contributed corrections as well.

N.B. Please be aware that the vocalization of this manuscript is often quite unique. All questions concerning vowel pointing should first be checked in codex itself. The entire text of Kaufmann Mishna Codex is available on CD-ROM as a high quality JPEG facsimile from OakTree Software, Inc.

Please report any errors to Martin G. Abegg, Jr. at the addresses shown below:

Email: abegg@twu.ca

or:
Dr. Martin G. Abegg, Jr.
Dead Sea Scrolls Institute
Trinity Western University
7600 Glover Road
Langley, BC V2Y 1Y1  CANADA

Referencing

References reflecting the traditional Mishna text appear at the beginning of each mishna, followed by the Kaufmann mishnafication in parenthesis. These parenthetical references replicate the Kaufmann mishnafication faithfully, even when they are obviously in error.

1. Non-Sequential Numbering
Frequently, the scribe breaks sequential numbering in an extreme fashion. For example, following Maaser2 2:2 (noted as 2 in the manuscript) the scribe enters 7 for Maaser2 2:3. We have preserved these extreme breaks in sequential numbering in order to assist the researcher in locating a given mishna when consulting the photo scan of the ms, and in order to maintain the original integrity of the manuscript.

2. Duplication
At times the scribe duplicates the same numeral for two consecutive mishnayot. The first occurrence of such duplication we find is Kilayim 3:4 and 3:5.  The scribe numbered both of these mishna 5, as indicated by the parenthetical reference: (5) Kilayim 3:4, (5) Kilayim 3:5.

3. Assimilation
When the scribe assimilates two or more standard mishnayot into one mishna, we have added Hebrew letters to the Kaufmann reference in order to indicate that it is not duplication.  The first occurrence of assimilation is Berakot 4:6 and 4:7, indicated as (6‏א‎) Berakot 4:6, (6‏ב‎) Berakot 4:7. The scribe has entered only one numeral at (6‏א‎), and has not entered a second numeral at (6‏ב).

4. Omission
At times the scribe will skip a number, often following an assimilation, and then return to proper sequence. The first occurrence of this phenomenon is at (2) at  Berakot 7:1b-2 and (4) Berakot 7:3. The scribe has skipped mishna 3 and effectively made it a part of 2.

5. Reversed Order
In a few cases the order of the mishnayot in Kaufmann differs from the standard order.  We have kept the manuscript intact, and therefore preserved the variant order.  As such, when the text is viewed with MISH-T as the search text the traditional referencing will fall out of order. (If the search text is another version of the Mishna, such as MISHNA or MISH-N, then MISH-T will follow the traditional order.)

Berakot 8:4 follow 8:2, and precedes 8:3,
Peah 7:3-8 is in the order 7:3, 5, 4, 7, 6, 8
Pesahim 8:7 follows 8:5 and precedes 8:6
Sota 9:4 follows 9:2, and precedes 9:3.
Miqwaot 5:5 follows 5:3, and precedes 5:4
Uqtzin 3:8 follows 3:6, and precedes 3:7

In two cases the reordering occurs in mid-mishna:
Nazir 9:3-4-5 are 4a-3-4b in the traditional Mishna.
Para 12:8-9-10 are 12.8a-7-8b in the traditional Mishna.

6. Supplied Numeral
In a number of cases, the scribe has neglected to enter a numeral at the beginning of a mishna, despite the presence of a sof pasuq, or other delineating mark. In such instances, we have supplied the missing numeral with corner bracket sigla (see sigla below).

7. Special notation of Mishna 15
Scribal practice in Kaufmann varies as to the use of the numeral 15.  The scribe normally used the combination heh-yod. But the scribe(s) occasionally varied this pattern to avoid the appearance of the first two letters of the tetragrammaton. We have recorded all of these as 15. The alternate patterns are:

9+6: Yebamot 10:7, Arayot 1:15, Avot 5:15, Hullin 2:10, Bekorot 8:8, Yadaim 4:7
7+8: Orla 2:15, Yebamot 13:13, Nedarim 3:11

8. Other numbering oddities
Sota 1:9 6+3 (for  9)
Sota 9:12 6+3 (for the 9 of 9+6? In error followed by 15, heh-yod)

9. Book Order
In three cases, Kaufmann varies from the traditional ordering.
Yoma follows Pesahim rather than Shekalim
MoedQatan follows Hagiga rather than Taanit.
Middot follows Meila rather than Tamid.

Extra-Canonical Text

The first chapter of Derek Eretz Rabba is appended to the end of Seder 3, following Qiddushin. We have preserved the scribe’s title, Arayot, as our title for this text.

Other

The chapter heading for Para 10 is missing.

The number at the head of Moedqatan 3:5 is not the letter-numeral heh, but rather appears to be the word heh: הי

Sigla

The following sigla were used to indicate various phenomena in the manuscript.

1. Regular Sigla:
‏{אמר}‎ Text deleted by visible marking
‏(אמר)‎ Text negated by virtue of replacement text, or text negated without visible marking
‏[אמר]‎ Text correction located in the margin
‏[?]‎ Insertion marker present without any visible text correction in margin
‏⟦אמר⟧‎ Text correction located within the text
‏<אמר>‎ Text correction written over non-legible erasure
‏⌝שֶׁ⌜‎ Radical is omitted but pointing is present
‏◦‎  Non-legible radical
‏מ֯‎ Partially legible radical
‏אָֽ‎ Partially legible pointing (meteg marker)

2. Combination Sigla:
‏{ל}<ב>‎ <Text correction> written over {legible erasure}
‏(ה)⟦ת⟧‎ Refashioned radical (Heh is refashioned into a Tav)
[‏(אמר)‎ …text…] Redundant reinsertion marker (marginal insertion ends with the first word of the reinsertion point of the main text)
‏⟦אמר⟧‎ ‏⟦הִיא⟧‎ Separate units of correction entered on separate areas of the ms

3. Other
׳ Abbreviation mark

Thanks! If this is something we need to setup, I can ask our module developers about it.

• Like 1

Yes, perhaps you could also test this, as far as I tested it won't download the read me file for the tagged Mishnah module. You could also change the "About this Text" popup to say "Accordance module Info" rather than "MISH-T - read me first" which is not available. 

image.png.9c6c6264b7c8692e19d53e295e8f1648.png

Thanks! We'll look into it.

• Like 1