Hebrew verse notation

ide

Currently, verse notation seems to always be in the default language. I may have overlooked something, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to make the notation for text copied/exported/displayed from the Hebrew Bible in the original Hebrew be in Hebrew, while keeping it in English for the English translations. In the attached example, I’d like the Hebrew side to say: בראשית לא 44, etc. Ideally, there would be options to have the verse in letters instead of digits (בראשית לא מד) and to toggle single/double notational marks (בראשית ל״א מ״ד, שמות ב׳ ט״ו), to account for all the common styles.

I currently have to manually change every verse or try to deal with bilingual find-replace, which rarely works well.

If/when you implement this, keep in mind that 15 and 16 are typically טו and טז, rather than the expected יה and יו.

Thanks very much.

image.png

@ide Accordance iOS does not give that capability. In Accordance macOS the program allows you to display Hebrew (and Greek) book names in the Text Display tab in Settings. Uncheck the "Use English book names" box:

Screenshot2023-10-01at4_22_01PM.thumb.png.c09e44fda9a3ba283493165cd1341179.png

If you then copy as citation, it will retain the book name, chapter, and verse in letters. Simple copy will retain book name and chapter in Hebrew letters, but not verse number (it reverts to Arabic numerals).

copy as citation ”יְבָרֶכְךָ֥ יְהוָ֖ה וְיִשְׁמְרֶֽךָ׃“
(במדבר ו׃כד HMT-W4)
https://accordance.bible/link/read/HMT-W4#Num._6:24

simple copy and paste במדבר ו24 יְבָרֶכְךָ֥ יְהוָ֖ה וְיִשְׁמְרֶֽךָ׃

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta

Sorry michael, but you can do some of this on an iPad. The setting to switch off english book names is hidden away at the bottom under settings, text defaults, advanced. You can see from the text in the background that the name has changed to Hebrew though it still has an arabic numeral on display but copy as citation yields this

בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ׃ וְהָאָ֗רֶץ הָיְתָ֥ה תֹ֨הוּ֙ וָבֹ֔הוּ וְחֹ֖שֶׁךְ עַל־פְּנֵ֣י תְה֑וֹם וְר֣וּחַ אֱלֹהִ֔ים מְרַחֶ֖פֶת עַל־פְּנֵ֥י הַמָּֽיִם׃

(Genesis 1:1-2 HMT-W4)

83B860DE-B029-4243-82C8-0CD6FEB64EAF.png

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

@ukfraser I stand corrected. Thank you very much!

• Haha 1

Michael, I accept we are never satisfied and always want more, but for a free program, for people like me, the semi skinned app is very powerful and streets ahead of the expensive bible software i was paying for in the 90s. I just accept it takes a bit longer to do the things that the full fat version does in milliseconds (when it finally gets sorted). But its still a lot quicker than having loads of books spread out on a desk and so much more convenient doing it from the comfort of a stressless! (It just takes knowledgable people like you to point out how to do something and then i know what to look for. I wouldn't have known if you hadn't posted first! So thanks.)

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2