ACCORDANCE ON WINDOWS - AS GOOD AS ON MAC OR NOT?!

TCanji

Greetings to all, especially the Windows users of Accordance Bible Software!

I'd greatly appreciate your feedback on this topic. As a Mac user I really have no idea if the software is as polished on Windows machines as it is on a Mac. Hope it is (heard good rumors)!

Please respond as you are able. Due to my circumstances this has become a critical issue. Most people around me are Windows users, and sadly I may need to sell everything I heavily invested in our beloved software. 

It’s unfortunate I can’t be more specific since it may go against the rigid Forum rules - alas I’m not on social networks where I could be more frank. 

Again, I’d appreciate you feedback. Thank you.

Blessings,

T.

7 minutes ago, TCanji said:

I'd greatly appreciate your feedback on this topic. As a Mac user I really have no idea if the software is as polished on Windows machines as it is on a Mac. Hope it is (heard good rumors)!

I have used every version of Accordance for windows from 2013 until the summer of this year(2023) when I finally switched to MacOs. Okay, here is my opinion Accordance for Windows is good it is very good but it does look different from the Mac version. On the windows version of Accordance there seem to be some lines between the icons on the tool bar, whereas there are not on the Mac version. Dark mode also looks a different on the Windows. Accordance is just as fast and just as powerful on windows as it ever was on Mac so if you have to move to windows you won't miss any of the features you had on the Mac Version of Accordance.

Regards,

Brian

• Like 2

I've also read that the Windows version has some features that are specific to that platform. Brian, having used both, have you noticed that? If so, what differences? Thanks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

if you have to move to windows

Actually no.  I’m a die hard Mac user and if I manage to sell my Accordance license, I won’t be quitting Accordance … as soon as I am able I hope to start building up my new Accordance library. Thank you for pointing out very fine differences. Good to hear that it is as fast and there are no glitches and hiccups!

1 hour ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

Accordance is just as fast and just as powerful on windows as it ever was on Mac

Anybody else with a different story?! Thanks 👍 in advance 😇 !

18 minutes ago, Donald Cobb said:

I've also read that the Windows version has some features that are specific to that platform. Brian, having used both, have you noticed that? If so, what differences? Thanks.

Yes, that's right because the Windows version is  Equivalent not identical to the Mac version.

The windows version of Accordance runs like a windows program, and a number of the menus are different and included more options why? because Windows and windows programs usually do not have program menus like MacOS does. So the items under the Accordance menu for a Mac were placed into the drop down menus in the Windows version. Short cuts and Commands are also different on Windows. The close buttons or on the right in windows and because of that some other items that are on the right on the MacOS were moved to the left on Windows. However, in general the Mac version had one or two more features than the windows version. For example Mac was the first to get Dark Mode, and windows users had to wait till one of the later releasing of v13 or the release of version 14 for Accordance. 

Here is an early podcast that illustrates some the differences that between Accordance for Mac and Windows that persist to this day and the reasoning behind them

Okay..

21 minutes ago, TCanji said:

I’m a die hard Mac user and if I manage to sell my Accordance license, I won’t be quitting Accordance … as soon as I am able I hope to start building up my new Accordance library. 

Your current Accordance license(s) will work on windows! So, there no need to sell your license and then turn around and repurchase licenses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have Accordance on my Windows work machine at the University and teach from it in class.  I haven't had ANY issues where "I wish I had my mac, so I could show this feature) everything works great and super fast.  In fact, the speed enabled me to pull the trigger to start using it in lectures to display the text of one of my textbooks, rather than use the class desktop with the Logos cloud app. Workspaces, interlinears, triple click, instant details, copy as citation, everthing I can think of works.  Yesterday for example, I showed students using my windows machine, how to upload a pdf into Accordance from the user tool, and also how to download a usertool from our class database in Blackboard ultra, where I had posted a couple of usertools for the historical books class.  I push the software features all the time, and can't recall EVER having an issue with Accordance on Windows.

I have to reiterate that your licenses in Accordance are lifetime, and you don't have to sell them. Put them on Windows and enjoy the experience as always. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TCanji said:

Actually no.  I’m a die hard Mac user and if I manage to sell my Accordance license, I won’t be quitting Accordance … as soon as I am able I hope to start building up my new Accordance library. 

Im sure there used to be statement about how many devices you could run accordance on (windows and mac as well as mobile devices) but the agreement just states your own devices now so if you have mac and windows boxes you are covered for them both. 

i used to run windows and mac and as others have said, accordance runs fine on both, i just never felt the windows version was as smooth ( but then i also preferred running word and excel either in mac os OR on a virtual pc on my mbp to running it on a native windows box. One factor was i much preferred the track pad on the mbp but have 7 years ago i totally gave up using windows so dont know how modern windows hardware feels.)

https://www.accordancebible.com/legal-information/

Edited by ukfraser
  • Thanks 1

@Brian K. Mitchell Thank you for digging up that video of our legendary Dr.J !

@Dan Langston I do understand that my licences are for a lifetime, however my current circumstances are such that alas, I'd much more appreciate some cash in return! Thank you for being considerate.

@ukfraser Appreciate your feedback!

• Like 1

One difference that matters to a very small minority of us, is that accordance in windows can link to paratext while the Mac app can’t. I’ve been searching for a way to link Mac accordance across parallels to paratext and no luck so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Accordance for Windows and Mac are close, and you won't notice any difference in daily use between the two except for the slight UI differences between Mac and Windows. If you want to watch my "Accordance Basics" webinars I shot on Windows, you can see how it looks:

https://www.gotostage.com/channel/2b99bda9c3ed4b7382a55737a7d54b46

Speech is one feature not on Windows yet. I believe the rest of the features between the two platforms are there, except for support for macOS services (since that's something built into macOS).

Your Accordance license and modules can be used on a Mac or Windows PC. No need to "sell" or "re-buy" anything. Just remove Accordance from your Mac before you part with it and install everything on your Windows PC. You can even migrate your files over:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Nathan Parker Thank you so much for your reply and for pointing out the fine UI differences. Very good to know. I apologize, if possibly I was not clear enough - I do not need to switching from Mac to Windows, or keep and migrate modules ... I actually do need to sell my Accordance license. In fact I did mention that - "I may need to sell everything I heavily invested in our beloved software" and that "it’s unfortunate I can’t be more specific since it may go against the rigid Forum rules - alas I’m not on social networks where I could be more frank. The reason as asked is that most people arround me are on Windows and I needed additional confidance in that regard, to make sure it really does work as smooth - in case I do sell. Thank you and bless you!

As I understand you, you're hoping to sell Accordance to a windows user, and want to know if it's as good as the mac version before you recommend it.

If that's accurate, I'll say - as a primary windows user- that I've found it to run quite well on windows. As others have mentioned, dark mode and a few details look different, but I've never found much use for dark mode personally, so it doesn't bother me. Function wise, you can do everything you can do on mac on windows.

• Like 1

Last time I checked, you still couldn’t drag modules to the toolbar in Windows like you can on a Mac. Is that still the case?

Thanks for the clarification. I agree with @Sean Nelson. Accordance runs great on my Windows PC.