Construct search to find all words contaning a composite shewa under a gutteral letter

Steven MacDonald

I was wondering any of you more advanced users would know how to perform a construct search for any Hebrew word containing a composite shewa under a gutteral letter.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated 🙂

Steve

Edited by Steven MacDonald
forgot a word and spelling

• Steven MacDonald changed the title to Construct search to find all words contaning a composite shewa under a gutteral letter

The database in Accordance do not tag guttural letters so you may have to use a wildcard or specify a guttural letter and which composite shewa you want. 

You can do on the search pane's entry box like this:

image.thumb.png.cc1a29b819ff9aba5c582c74feacf65f.png

You can shortcut this a little by using the ? wildcard constrained to the gutturals. so FORWARDS - because cut and paste onto the forums doesn't work in reverse as far as I can make it work...

"=*?(ארהחע)ֲ*"

The composite sewa at the end will have to be changed for each search but at least there are only three of them!

So it should look something like this

Screenshot2023-09-29at14_14_01.thumb.png.2bb90779152c2b1fae747bca830a6be0.png

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Ken Simpson said:

You can shortcut this a little by using the ? wildcard constrained to the gutturals. so FORWARDS - because cut and paste onto the forums doesn't work in reverse as far as I can make it work...

"=*?(ארהחע)ֲ*"

The composite sewa at the end will have to be changed for each search but at least there are only three of them!

That's really great, thanks! I used to do it with a construct search which is more complex and difficult to build...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Accordance Enthusiast said:

That's really great, thanks! I used to do it with a construct search which is more complex and difficult to build...

I love playing with the wildcard system in Accordance. It's not perfect, but it's fun!

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 8:58 AM, Steven MacDonald said:

Thank you for the information.

Thank you for asking the question that started this thread! I really like questions and threads like these!

On 9/29/2023 at 2:41 AM, Accordance Enthusiast said:

A great example of the power of Accordance!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2023 at 2:14 PM, Ken Simpson said:

"=*?(ארהחע)ֲ*"

I've been trying to reproduce this search, and just in case it could help someone, the specified vowel should basically be added to the closing parenthesis, not to the "?", nor to the last letter in the parentheses. So I finally managed to make a similar search with the Chateph Segol as the desired vowel.

image.thumb.png.cd0faa12b76617b1251a8898e9503f23.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Accordance Enthusiast said:

I've been trying to reproduce this search, and just in case it could help someone, the specified vowel should basically be added to the closing parenthesis, not to the "?", nor to the last letter in the parentheses. So I finally managed to make a similar search with the Chateph Segol as the desired vowel.

image.thumb.png.cd0faa12b76617b1251a8898e9503f23.png

The parenthesis delimits the range of letters that can fill the ? Wildcard. And the composite sewe has to come immediately after it because the parenthesis is not a “letter” as such. So the whole ?(…) construction is equivalent to just a ? 

so you are absolutely right, but this is why. Since the vowel points are all on a preceding letter in Hebrew they are pushed under the letter so it looks like the vowel might be before the the parenthesis but it has to come afterwards.