Webinar Suggestions

Dr. Nathan Parker

Over the next couple of weeks, I may teach a couple of webinars.

Any particular topics you're interested in learning about?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Over the next couple of weeks, I may teach a couple of webinars.

Any particular topics you're interested in learning about?

Something on the syntax modules - Andersen-Forbes in particular - would be fantastic! Some suggestions as to format:

• Like 5

As requested a number of times — a practical use of the Anderson-Forbes syntax 

• Like 3

I would like to see

(a) a Webinar dedicated the ETCBC Syntax 

(b) a Webinar that compares searches with the HMT-W4 and the ETCBC (and maybe the Anderson-Forbes syntax )

(c) a Webinar that contrast the results of normal boolean construct queries with those run on the syntax databases.

(d) 'regular expression' queries

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

I would like to see

(a) a Webinar dedicated the ETCBC Syntax 

(b) a Webinar that compares searches with the HMT-W4 and the ETCBC (and maybe the Anderson-Forbes syntax )

(c) a Webinar that contrast the results of normal boolean construct queries with those run on the syntax databases.

(d) 'regular expression' queries

A Yes

B Yes

C Yes

D Yes

Sounds good. I'd like to do a syntax webinar, but I need to do brush up on my knowledge of it all before I could effectively teach one of those.

Any other topics you'd want to see that I could more easily teach? :-) 

34 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

but I need to do brush up on my knowledge of it all before I could effectively teach one of those

Best way to learn something is to have to teach it ... 😆

• Haha 1

There are lots of resources that come up each week on sale and most of them i know nothing about and have no chance of seeing in the flesh so i rely very much on getting samples in kindle or google. Have you considered doing a 'Sale' webinar looking at a passage or definition/topic/issue/theme and seeing how the volumes on sale expound/deal/discuss it? So for example, there are currently a load of books on theology on sale so you could take a term like 'messiah' and see how both ot and nt books tackle it as its a term likely to be common to all. But i would certainly prefer looking at a term common to all resources you are covering to get a better flavour for the resources which which means easy to teach but still more preparation, sorry. Dr j used to do a short lighting the lamp on new resources which i found helpful in deciding if i needed to invest or not after id got the resources i knew about. 

but the syntax keeps coming up and has done so for ages so that is definitely the priority.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Any other topics you'd want to see that I could more easily teach? 🙂

'A friendly' Just for your information :

One of the reason why you are only probably going to get requests for syntax searches and more advance topics is because the vast majority (if not all) of the current Accordance forum regulars are also long time Accordance software veterans. We, either know how to do the all the basic things in Accordance and/or we have already watched past Light the Lamp podcast and Webinars. I think a lot of us picked Accordance as our main driver because we wanted to do philology or exegesis so some of the requests are probably also going to reflect that. 

Regards

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Sounds good. I'd like to do a syntax webinar, but I need to do brush up on my knowledge of it all before I could effectively teach one of those.

So its not all on your shoulders Nathan, are there any other e-academy or webinar presenters who fancy stepping up to the microphone and camera even if it means its not in the next few weeks?

;o) 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

I've used a ton of the Theology books in this week's sale. A Theology webinar would be great. Thanks for that suggestion!

I like the idea of featuring sale items as well in future webinars.

I'll ask around on who else is syntax-savvy. I have worked with A-F and the other syntax modules in the past. I know I can put together a really great syntax webinar, but I just need to spend some quality time brushing up on the material. I wouldn't want to "crash brush up" this week and put together an underprepared webinar on it. When I know I've devoted enough quality time in giving you a webinar you can thoroughly benefit from, I'll be glad to teach it. I'd have fun learning more about it myself.

• Like 1

More ideas for using a new construct in greek and hebrew. 

It would be great to see you go more in depth with new construct using A-F - would be great. 

Exploring in depth search results with syntax using greek and hebrew. 

More ways to get search results using new construct with the Greek New Testament specifically. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I've used a ton of the Theology books in this week's sale. A Theology webinar would be great.

Hey, one more thought rather than webinars maybe you or someone else could put together short video reviews specific for each of the books and products on the Accordance store or at least the more popular ones. Maybe even outsourcing some the video making to people who use and love those resources. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

Hey, one more thought rather than webinars maybe you or someone else could put together short video reviews specific for each of the books and products on the Accordance store or at least the more popular ones. Maybe even outsourcing some the video making to people who use and love those resources. 

In a similar way to the one you did for wbc. 

• Like 2

See Brian Mitchell's Post dated Saturday 7:11 A.M. for ideas on what to see.  

• Thanks 1

I did produce screencasts on many of the Theology books on sale, and I plan to do a lot more of that during our weekly sales. If anyone has any video reviews of modules, they're welcome to send me a link to them for review.

This week I'll do a "Studying Theology" webinar and show a handful of features in Accordance and showcase some modules for studying Theology. I may also teach another webinar next week. If I can brush up on syntax later this week, I'll see if I'm ready for it, but I won't promise yet. :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Due to staying busy with Sonoma this week, I probably won't have time to brush up on Syntax in time for a webinar. I'll work on that before the next major round of webinars I'll teach.

In the meantime, I could still teach a webinar this week. Is there another topic you all would like some additional training that I could cover?

Some fun videos on my Rumble channel. Back during my M Div, I taught a series on Bible doctrines. I heavily used Accordance during it. Most of the videos are on this page (one is on Page 4):

https://rumble.com/user/theparkernathan?page=5

It also shows Accordance on Windows in action (I used a Windows PC during a short stint during my PhD program), plus I'm a little younger in the video series (it was pre-beard).

6 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Due to staying busy with Sonoma this week,...

Nathan thank you for continuing to communicate and interact with us on the forums. This is greatly appreciated and thank you for your and the rest of Oak Tree

Accordance staff for testing Somoma.

6 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I probably won't have time to brush up on Syntax in time for a webinar.

This is fair and totally understandable as testing Sonoma should take first priority. 

However, in my opinion you personally do not need to make the syntax videos if there are others at Accordance that regularly use them and do not mind demonstrating them on video.

Grace and Peace

10 hours ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

This is fair and totally understandable as testing Sonoma should take first priority. 

However, in my opinion you personally do not need to make the syntax videos if there are others at Accordance that regularly use them and do not mind demonstrating them on video.

If anyone has any good syntax demos they want to produce screencasts on, they're welcome to post them here or send them to me, and we can look at featuring them.