Would it be possible to use the "Dictionary" App of Mac in Accordance?

Mutien Chen

For non-native English speakers, is it possible to use the Mac native software Dictionary in Accordance? One of the features is that by changing the gestures on the touchpad, you can directly click on a word with three fingers to bring up the results of the query which is possible in Safari, Pages...etc., but it seems like that it doesn't work in Accordance.

Edited by Mutien Chen

Hi @Mutien Chen,

I think Accordance is overriding some of the gestures since some of the same gestures are used for Accordance functions. That said, it appears to work if you right click on a word, then go to "Services" (the last option when you right click) and then one of the services listed is to look it up in the dictionary. 

I hope this helps some,

Kristin 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Mutien Chen,

I think Accordance is overriding some of the gestures since some of the same gestures are used for Accordance functions. That said, it appears to work if you right click on a word, then go to "Services" (the last option when you right click) and then one of the services listed is to look it up in the dictionary. 

I hope this helps some,

Kristin 

Thanks Kristin,

I used to use this, but it's not very intuitive, and it requires another window to be opened, either overlapping or side by side, which is not very convenient. It would be helpful to have a floating window that pops up without interfering with the original reading! Maybe a little be like the instant detail in Accordance.

Mutien

• Like 1

Hi @Mutien Chen,

Ya, I agree it is not very intuitive. I think either way it would be good to post your thoughts as a feature request, as I think it is a real need.

Something that had occurred to me is to create a shortcut on Mac. It is not clear to me how to do so, but since I have created shortcuts for other things, I assume there is a way to do so. While it would not be the same as the touchpad, it would be far simpler than going through services. In such a case you would just select a word and press a key combo.

Kristin

• Like 1

You can post a feature request on how we could potentially work with macOS's Dictionary. We can't bring the actual files inside Accordance unless we licensed them.

• Like 1