Translation Matters: Inclusive Language eAcademy downloadable files

mgvh

I am presenting for an Accordance eAcademy today (14 September 2023) on "Translation Matters: Inclusive Language"

The use of inclusive language in English Bible versions is a matter of being faithful, accurate, clear, and appropriate to the original language. In this webinar we will look at inclusive language philosophies and strategies, and consider references to both the human and the divine. Looking at many biblical verses, users will be able to make their own conclusions about using inclusive language. Hoffman will show how he uses Accordance for lexical work and to compare versions (using Verse Lookup / Text Browser) such as the NASB, NRSV, NRSVue, NET, CSB, NIV, CEB, FNV, and CEV which are all available in Accordance. Time permitting, the webinar will also show how to create ordered groups of Bibles and to import a user note to use in exercises like this

Here is the link to register.

Here are files you can download for the webinar.

• Powerpoint slides of the presentation
  • A DOCX with links to various online resources
  • A DOCX of the exercises and a HTML version of the exercises (which can be imported into User Tools)
  • A listing of English Bible versions with a ranking of 'literal' to paraphrase

Translation Matters Inclusive Language Accordance.pdf Translation Matters Inclusive Language - Online resource links.docx Translation Matters Inclusive Language and Designating the Divine.Examples.docx Translation Matters Inclusive Language and Designating the Divine.Examples.html

English Bible Versions.docx

Edited by mgvh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just briefly looking at this (sad to have to miss it live)—looks excellent. @mgvh/Mark, you and your teaching are a gift to this community! Thank you. 

• Like 2

Hi @mgvh,

I appreciated your presentation yesterday. Though I was already familiar with the inclusive philosophy, your presentation caused me to become aware of aspects and logical outcomes of it which I had not previously considered. So thank you for such a thought provoking webinar. :) 

• Like 1

I would be interested in knowing the real difference between translating for "inclusion" and eisegesis (= subjective method of interpretation by introducing one's own opinions into the original --- as opposed to exegesis). If this was covered in the lecture, perhaps you can direct me to the time stamp where I can find it. Thank you.

Edited by yelleko
  • Like 1

@mgvh

Thanks, Mark. I went over the pdf and found it to be balanced and fair. I even saved it in case the need arises to use it in the future.

Michel

• Like 1