Remote into Windows PC from Mac (Local Network)

Dr. Nathan Parker

If I need to Remote Desktop into a Windows PC from a Mac (so I can see my Windows PC's desktop on my Mac) over my local network, what would be the quickest/easiest way to do this?

I only need to be able to do it on a local network. I don't need to be able to do it over the Internet/outside my local network.

I have an old license to Apple Remote Desktop, but I haven't used it in years. The Windows PC is Windows 11 Pro. I used Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac years ago. Is that app still around?

I need to do this since I need to see Accordance for Windows and Mac both on my Mac at once (without going with Parallels or a VM option).

Thanks!

For me, nearly all of the time, easiest and quickest is trumped by quality of the operation. I do quite a bit of remote support and something like Teamviewer will provide you a quick and easy and high quality experience. After extensively using Windows RD, VNC, and over a dozen others, as a daily driver it's Teamviewer. 

• Like 1

Great. Thanks!

2 hours ago, ScottDF said:

After . . . using Windows RD, VNC, and . . . others . . . it's Teamviewer. 

Same here.

Trying Microsoft Remote Desktop, although so far not connecting well using my user account credentials. Will try it a little more. May have to give TeamViewer a try. 

Remote desktop is going to give you a suboptimal experience. Everybody is saying TeamViewer. We'll wait. 😀

Yeah, I'll probably switch to it today. :-) 

TeamViewer is working flawlessly over a LAN connection if I use the host name. Strangely if I try to connect using the TeamViewer ID, it won't work. At least it's doing what I need it to though.

I guess I could try a TeamViewer account if I ever need it.

[From their site] You can establish and receive remote control sessions directly within your local area network (LAN) by using IP addresses or - if the network uses DNS resolution - the computer's name.

By default, the feature for incoming LAN connections is deactivated because some software firewalls may not allow it.

Sounds good. I had to enable it, then it worked flawlessly. Thanks!