Could someone please re-check and correct the CODEX transcripts?

Accordance Enthusiast

I've done some spot checking as well and the problems, I think, are more extensive. I'll DM Nathan with some thoughts on moving forward as well.

On 9/12/2023 at 11:21 PM, Accordance Enthusiast said:

It looks like the Alexandrinus was confused with the Sinaiticus. Did they re-use the text of the Sinaiticus, or is it just a poor job?

Or, if Accordance Enthusiast is right, Alexandrinus should be completely scrapped and redone from scratch, starting from the correct electronic text.

10 hours ago, robrecht said:

Or, if Accordance Enthusiast is right, Alexandrinus should be completely scrapped and redone from scratch, starting from the correct electronic text.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but the Greek mss (not just Alexandrinus) do need to be extensively proofed. I've often sent in spot corrections in the past that have been integrated. However, I have the impression that @Rex Koivisto, who headed up this project in the past, is no longer active. I could perhaps take on part of the corrections.

• 7 months later...

I'm adding an example from the Bezae Codex transcript:

This is for Luke 18:39

Accordance:

image.png.a7a2f23ce4fa24a6e67e827225353c5a.png

Actual manuscript:

image.png.a5b2a4e8515bb187a1927a0e68605927.png

The mistake is that the transcript includes the word "πολλω" which is found in other manuscripts but not in the Bezae codex. 

It is unfortunate that the transcripts are so inaccurate.

Edited by Accordance Enthusiast
  • Thanks 1

@Rex Koivisto from Multnomah took care of the tagging for the Greek transcripts. I don't think he does any work for Accordance any more (he was let go several years ago as a cost-cutting measure). With everyone currently working at Accordance performing the job of several people already, I wouldn't hold my breath that any of these corrections will get done in the near (or even distant) future.

Also, posting on this thread instead of sending in error correction reports via the Accordance app won't get these corrections done any faster. In fact, if you're not also sending these reports via the app, they won't be on the error correction list and won't get done at all. 

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

@Rex Koivisto from Multnomah took care of the tagging for the Greek transcripts. I don't think he does any work for Accordance any more (he was let go several years ago as a cost-cutting measure). 

😳 What’s the point of a company created to study books if you let go of all the people that produce the books? Good grief. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

Also, posting on this thread instead of sending in error correction reports via the Accordance app won't get these corrections done any faster. In fact, if you're not also sending these reports via the app, they won't be on the error correction list and won't get done at all. 

Hi @Mark Allison,

You raise a good point, but I nonetheless greatly appreciate it when @Accordance Enthusiast posts these here, since even though Accordance isn't fixing the errors, as a user, I can make a personal note about it to function in place of Accordance fixing it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kristin said:

I nonetheless greatly appreciate it when @Accordance Enthusiast posts these here, since even though Accordance isn't fixing the errors, as a user, I can make a personal note about it to function in place of Accordance fixing it.

Good point! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

. . . as a cost-cutting measure). With everyone currently working at Accordance performing the job of several people already . . .

The bottom line for Accordance users/investors is that all of the cost-cutting measures (that we know about, perhaps there were more) seem to have affected the quality of the product and support for it. That is why we are not breaking Accordance’s own guidelines for posting on the forums.

According to the Guidelines:

The forums are for Accordance users and those interested in Accordance to share their experiences, voice their opinion . . . .”

We are “encourage[d] to discuss Accordance features . . . , to offer constructive criticism for how the program could be improved, . . . and to discuss any aspect of Accordance use which may be of interest to other users.”

And, “We do not prohibit occasional references to competing Bible software platforms, but please refrain from hyperlinking to competitors’ products.”

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Please definitely continue to report corrections through the app (although you're welcome to share them here as well). We will be releasing an update on corrections (as well as addressing other customer's questions) coming up.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

We will be releasing an update on corrections

That's good news. Working on corrections is a very clear barometer of a Bible software company's health. Making corrections to modules that have already been sold doesn't directly impact the company's bottom line. If corrections aren't being made, it's because resources have been diverted to areas of the company that provide a direct income. 

When you don't see updates to modules happening every week or so, there's something wrong. 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 4

Our module development team has also asked us to roll out a new forum section on here where they will provide updates on major corrections. While it won't offer updates on every typo resolved, it will highlight major updates customers need to be aware of.

The posts will be read-only since corrections submissions will still be handled through the corrections submissions process. The section will include a video (from yours truly) about reporting corrections for new users who need a briefing on the process. 

The upcoming announcement from our management will also provide additional updates on how corrections will work moving forward.

• Like 3

Once I begin Bible development, I may also have an opportunity to learn enough tool development where I could potentially knock out some of the corrections. We'll see for sure when I actually get started on some work, but I'm willing to learn and see what all I can do.

At least I could look at Bibles and see if I can work on some of the corrections that have been reported here. Definitely keep sending stuff to Corrections.

• Like 2