Acc 14 still doesn't work

Alistair

MacBook Pro Apple M2, MacOS Ventura 13.4.1.

I don't know what version of Accordance 14 but it was downloaded today.

Every version of Accordance 14 I have tried on this Mac crashes on launch. There isn't even a crash report or error message.

I don't have the time or the patience to search the forums for answers. Please will someone just fix it and make it work.

Thanks.

BTW, on a ministers' forum we were asked to recommend Bible software. I didn't recommend Accordance. I still use Accordance, "exclusively", but I cannot recommend it. Frustrated. 

Please call @Tech Support. I don´t think this experience is aligned with the norm and Accordance Tech Support is full of great people who want to help

• Like 2

@Alistair

With all the problems since the launch of Accordance 14, we're kind of conditioned now to think of Accordance as a buggy piece of software.

Even if the real problem was with the operating system or something else, it's almost a reflex now to put the blame on Accordance.

In fairness, though, I've found the latest version to be pretty stable for its basic functionality.

Notes and sync might still be problematic, but I wouldn't expect unfixable hard crashes on installation.

It's frustrating when software doesn't work, but I'd echo Dan's suggestion to give tech support a call.

They've been pretty good at getting things up and running, and they should be able to help you get past the current crash-on-install issue.

Here's their contact page: <https://www.accordancebible.com/contact-us/>.

• Like 1

Dan is correct. I'm running 14 exclusively on two Macs and a Windows PC without any "showstopping" issues. I even used it for mission-critical PhD research.

There's definitely an issue with your installation that tech support will need to diagnose and troubleshoot.

22 hours ago, Alistair said:

BTW, on a ministers' forum we were asked to recommend Bible software. I didn't recommend Accordance. I still use Accordance, "exclusively", but I cannot recommend it. Frustrated. 

And then you will feel free to recommend it with a clear conscience!

;o) 

Edited by ukfraser

On 9/7/2023 at 4:21 AM, Alistair said:

MacBook Pro Apple M2, MacOS Ventura 13.4.1.

I don't know what version of Accordance 14 but it was downloaded today.

Every version of Accordance 14 I have tried on this Mac crashes on launch. There isn't even a crash report or error message.

I don't have the time or the patience to search the forums for answers. Please will someone just fix it and make it work.

Thanks.

I am curious but completely uninformed about Apples MacOS platform history since M1. The numbering of the OS releases makes it sound like a series of absolutely new "every thing has changed"  releases. New processor new OS, one revolutionary leap into the "future" after another. This creates problems for existing applications. The combination of new everything repeated over and over leaping into an unknown future makes life difficult.

They just changed the version numbers since they got tied of "10.X.X" numbering, and they dropped the "OS X" branding for "macOS". They thought Apple Silicon would be a good time to make the change.

Overall, macOS seems to be tracking similar to what it did before the version numbering change (although there are still issues I wish Apple's engineers would be better on top of), but the version numbering change is more of a marketing ploy than a fundamental change in the OS itself (except for now running on Apple Silicon).

• Like 1

Thanks to Billy I now have version 14 working. His advice might be useful to others: I'm posting it here assuming it is appropriate to do so. Admins will delete it if not.

You should never keep two different versions of Accordance on the same device. They are not the same, but they will share the same folders which constantly causes crashes and or conflicts.

On a Mac there are 4 folders that you will want to copy to an external drive (or Airdrop) and transfer to another Mac (or remove or rename for a clean installation).

1 - The Accordance app (the program itself) located in the Applications folder.

2 - The Accordance folder (which holds your modules and support files) is located in either your Home User library or the Mac HD library:

Go/Home/Library/Application Support/Accordance/ (If your Home library is hidden, you have to press your option key while you have the ‘Go’ menu open in order to see the hidden ‘Library’ underneath 'Home’ in the ‘Go’ drop down menu).

OR

Go/Computer/Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Accordance/

3 - The Accordance Preferences folder (which contains your individual preferences) is located at: Go/Home/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences (If your Home library is hidden, you have to press your option key while you have the ‘Go’ menu open in order to see the hidden ‘Library’ underneath 'Home’ in the ‘Go’ drop down menu).

4 - The Accordance Files folder (which holds your workspaces, highlights, user notes, tools etc.) located in your Documents folder.

*You will also want to remove the ‘com.OakTree.Accordance.savedState’ file located at: Go/Home/Library/Saved Application State/com.OakTree.Accordance.savedState.

Thanks Billy.

Thanks for sharing this, and glad your issue is resolved! We'll leave this up here in case another customer has a similar issue.

You should never keep two different versions of Accordance on the same device. They are not the same, but they will share the same folders which constantly causes crashes and or conflicts.

That's assuming you have only one boot volume attached to your device. Some of us have several boot volumes which allow us to test a new MacOS Version or application release before making it our permanent configuration. Been doing that with Accordance forever. Always absolutely always with no exceptions leave your daily use "production" boot volume alone when testing something new. 

Learned this over four decades ago from ATAD* (Advanced Technology Acquisition[?) Division) system engineers who tested the latest release of IBM "mainframe" OS for six months or longer before it was put into production. I used to have dinner with an Amdahl SE and once had easter sunday brunch with two of these guys. Tom and Roger. Rodger was the last person you talked to at consulting. There was nobody up the consulting chain after Rodger. Decades later I ran into Scott walking on the beach at Seahurst Pk and found out he was an IBM SE and was friends with my former colleagues. 

*Boeing Computer Services early 1980s.

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew

I should add that people with huge libraries will need to follow a different plan. You probably will be storing your library on a separate volume from your accordance application. This requires some careful planning when upgrading the application volume. I am using a very small library and don't have the complexity of distributed  application resources over multiple volumes. Having never faced the problem I will leave that to others who have. Accordance has over the decades become huge. 

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew