Word study doesn't differentiate between verbs and nouns/distinct Hebrew words with identical consonants but different vowels

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Today I was working in Exodus 1, and requested a word study on וַיַּֽעַצְמ֖וּ in 1:7.  Instant details (correctly) identifies it as:

יַּֽעַצְמ֖וּ  (עצם) עצם־1 Verb qal wawConsec 3 masc plur  be mighty, numerous

But the word study pulls up a batch of other words/parts of speech as well. (See screen shot below).  Not only that, but the first word on the list, is not the right one.  It is a noun meaning "bone" not the verb meaning be mighty, numerous, which is listed second 

I want to limit my word study search to just the lexeme in question.  Am I missing a setting?  Is this a limitation of the word study feature?  If so is this something that could be addressed at a later time?

image.thumb.png.5de3ec26e2ad5910bdf4e0482fda07ab.png

Let me ask on this one.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 11:10 PM, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

Today I was working in Exodus 1, and requested a word study on וַיַּֽעַצְמ֖וּ in 1:7.  Instant details (correctly) identifies it as: ....יַּֽעַצְמ֖וּ  (עצם) עצם־1 Verb qal wawConsec 3 masc plur  be mighty, numerous.....But the word study pulls up a batch of other words/parts of speech as well. (See screen shot below).  Not only that, but the first word on the list, is not the right one.  It is a noun meaning "bone" not the verb meaning be mighty, numerous, which is listed second ...I want to limit my word study search to just the lexeme in question. ...

Do you mean like this

:image.thumb.png.acd23a3e4f9ac0f36b00f1dec05531a2.png

or like this ?

image.thumb.png.bfabd66189bedd230e14bb9ec39e63fe.png

Yes, like your first screen shot.  Why isn’t Accordance doing that automatically? Or does it for you?

This the initial screen I get when I run the word study on the AF database:

image.thumb.png.9adde0111d788169ab58c8be59274044.png

Now take a look at this screen. The editors of the BDB considered עצם to have a range of meanings rather than being completely different lexeme. Also notice that different morphological/Syntactical databases of the Hebrew Bible treat עצם this differently. 

Screenshot2023-10-02at0_25_34.thumb.png.10c807cd6dafaa3ff21f0907da33f956.png

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell

On 9/6/2023 at 11:10 PM, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

I want to limit my word study search to just the lexeme in question.  Am I missing a setting?  Is this a limitation of the word study feature? 

The Word Study's Lexeme search option is run on essential only run on the three letter root  עצם which why all the different lemma show up. As I understand it you really wanted to run a word Study only on עצם־1=  and as far as I can tell that is not possible without typing it in the search area. It is however, possible to use the small magnifying glass to click on and run searches on each of the results under the Text Compare.