Why can't I make a simple Greek search with Accordance?

Enoch

ἔγνωσται: I search for this word ἔγνωσται (which does not show the smooth breathing & acute accent on this word processor, but a thick short slanted line above the epsilon)

and get nothing, but a thunk , & the drop down menu of words which occur (not showing this one).  1 Cor 8:2 has this word, & I would like to know where else in the NT?  And I tried searching for ἔγνωσ* to no avail, wanting to get everything that starts with those 5 letters. I tried putting = in front of this form, with no success.  I have been using accordance since Accordance 7, & it seems that with the newest versions I am having more problems than ever before.

I find it if I start the search with quotation marks. It then appears in the drop down list options.

—Joseph

it only appears in 1 Cor 8.2 in this form. The root γινωσκω occurs numerous times; but the third singular perfect middle/passive indicative only in 1 Cor 8.2. As previously noted, if you enclose the form in quotes it will search correctly - "εγνωσται"

Edited by mbcvida
addition

I find it in 1Cor 8:3, not 8:2

corrected 8.3 -- I also found this form in LXX 1 Sam 22.6 and Sirach 23.20 if that helps

8 hours ago, Enoch said:

ἔγνωσται: I search for this word ἔγνωσται (which does not show the smooth breathing & acute accent on this word processor, but a thick short slanted line above the epsilon)

and get nothing, but a thunk , & the drop down menu of words which occur (not showing this one).  1 Cor 8:2 has this word, & I would like to know where else in the NT?  And I tried searching for ἔγνωσ* to no avail, wanting to get everything that starts with those 5 letters. I tried putting = in front of this form, with no success.  I have been using accordance since Accordance 7, & it seems that with the newest versions I am having more problems than ever before.

You're searching for an inflected form. The results of any variation of an inflected form are always going to be limited. The search for ἔγνωσται, because it's inflected, must be in quotes. If you search for ἔγνωσ*, which must be in quotes because it's part of an inflected form, you're only going to get some aorist and perfect instances. This is not a bug; it's the way the app is designed. Inflected forms require quotes and will be limited to only the forms which match your search. The word you're searching, of course, is γινώσκω. If you search this lexical form, you'll get all the instances of the word in your text. 

If you don't know greek but you want to search for instances of a word that interests you in a tagged greek text, right click and select search for > lexeme. That will get you the lexical form of the word and search for it. Instant details can do this also (show you the form; not search for it, of course). 

Edited by A. Smith
typos
  • Like 3

Moving this to General Discussions since this isn't a bug.

22 hours ago, mbcvida said:

it only appears in 1 Cor 8.2 in this form. The root γινωσκω occurs numerous times; but the third singular perfect middle/passive indicative only in 1 Cor 8.2. As previously noted, if you enclose the form in quotes it will search correctly - "εγνωσται"

No it did not for me. If that works for you, but not me, that adds to the puzzle.   I put it in quotes (which required me to bring up a new workplace where from a English text I could write a quote mark). With a Greek text I cannot type a quote mark (or don't know how, maybe you can tell me how). But I still got the THUNK & a useless drop down pain & no search results. Finally I chose from menu search for inflected form & the system produced a drop down pain with my word in it as "=ἔγνωσται".  So it appears that you have you use both quotes & =.

Are you sure that the inability to type in a quote mark with a Greek search plus having to use both = and quotes is not a bug?

("Pain" above is not a misspelling!)

BTW, it is 8:3, not 8:2 as someone astutely noticed.

Incidentally, I think the explanation of the form ἔγνωσται (no sk, just s, is that sigma kappa & tau conflict & the kappa assimilates, though I don't recall that in my list of consonant assimilations.  Anyone have a better explanation?  Maybe instant details could be improved to indicate that γινωσκω is not a root, the σκ being a present stem inchoative (inceptive) morph, as the assimilated reduplication with iota is also a present stem morph (shown by γι, first part of unassimilated γιγ).

Edited by Enoch

@Enoch I wonder if you are using the Greek Polytonic keyboard (selected under Greek and Hebrew in Settings (aka Preferences). That is the keyboard I use, and that layout does not have the quotation mark. One can use the menu Search>Enter Symbol>' (or ") inflected word before and after typing the word in Greek letters. Doing this does not require the = sign. (I tried to get a screenshot, but invoking it closed the menu tree).

Alternatively one can use the menu Search>Enter Inflected Forms... which brings up a dialog box. Even though the Go to: box has the cursor, one has to click the box and then type in the word to select it. This method does not insert = (the = means exact form).

Screenshot2023-09-05at8_07_07PM.thumb.png.a9725287e3c4bdc5788e65853b945d85.png

If I uncheck "Use Greek Polytonic keyboard" I am able to type " or ' in the search entry box.

A workaround allowing use of Greek Polytonic is to type " or ' (or better, "word desired") with the entry box set to Verses and then switch to "Words"