Shortcut to hide (and unhide) verse and word highlighting in text display

Fred Argilan

When reading text, especially when in dark mode, it's distracting to read text that is highlighted. I tried several workarounds to do this but the only way is to select advanced text pane display settings and check "hide verse highlighting" and "hide word highlighting". This works of course, but it is cumbersome to switch off and on as it requires several steps. A keyboard shortcut would be useful for this task but there is no way to directly do it with Accordance shortcuts or with Apple keyboard shortcuts. Am I missing something simple or will it require an update? If there were an Accordance shortcut that would be the best way but Apple keyboard shortcuts could work if there were a direct path to action(s) from the menu.

I am using Accordance 14.07, and MacOS Monterey on an iMac and Ventura on a MacBook Air.

• Like 2

Hi @Fred Argilan,

I agree there should be a shortcut, but my understanding is that you are correct that there is not one. One suggestion as  a workaround would be to create a blank highlight file. Then from your highlights on the menu bar, you would need to click it and switch to the blank highlight and close the highlight box. So that is still a multi step process, but likely a little smoother than what you are currently doing. I have used this method for a long time and it works ok I think.

Hi hope this helps some,

Kristin

• Like 1

In addition to Kristin's workaround, I'll see if anyone else has found a way to map a keystroke to it. If not, I'll file it as a feature request.

• Like 2

I created a "Toggle Off Highlights" highlight file.

I have previously also requested a simpler way to toggle highlights on/off.

I have also made a feature request for a highlight collection where it would be possible to toggle on/off individual elements within the collection.

E.g., in my Understanding NT Greek module, it would be nice to just have the verbs highlighted or just the verb and subject.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mgvh said:

I created a "Toggle Off Highlights" highlight file.

I have previously also requested a simpler way to toggle highlights on/off.

I have also made a feature request for a highlight collection where it would be possible to toggle on/off individual elements within the collection.

E.g., in my Understanding NT Greek module, it would be nice to just have the verbs highlighted or just the verb and subject.

I was going to suggest that & thank you for making it because I have been using it.

• Like 1

Let me know if I still need to put in a feature request for this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Let me know if I still need to put in a feature request for this.

• a simpler way to toggle highlights on/off.
  • ability to create a highlight collection where it would be possible to toggle on/off individual elements within the collection.
  • Like 2

A more straightforward way is needed. Keyboard shortcuts are easy to use but if there was a toolbar tool, like the way the 'Dark Mode' button works, that would be useful. Talk to the programmers. I think adding the keyboard shortcuts would be the easiest way to go. For Apple users, the only thing preventing an Apple shortcut is that there is no menu item for hiding/unhiding highlights. 

26 minutes ago, Fred Argilan said:

A more straightforward way is needed. Keyboard shortcuts are easy to use but if there was a toolbar tool, like the way the 'Dark Mode' button works, that would be useful. Talk to the programmers. I think adding the keyboard shortcuts would be the easiest way to go. For Apple users, the only thing preventing an Apple shortcut is that there is no menu item for hiding/unhiding highlights. 

Here Is the one created by @mgvh

image.thumb.png.aa4cb821525970e44962d10bc4965b52.png

Bottom line–Accordance should allow you to turn highlights on and off, which would allow you to go back the the Highlights you are currently using. It would also presumably work in both the Apple and Windows versions.

Here is the Apple solution:

Using mgvh's suggestion, I created a 'No Highlights' file. I made an Accordance shortcut in Apple Keyboard Shortcuts. Type "Window->Highlights->Select Highlight File->No Highlights" in the Keyboard Shortcut Menu Title and assign whatever shortcut you want in the Keyboard Shortcut field. You can create another shortcut to select the Highlight file you want to switch back and add the shift key in front of the Keyboard Shortcut you assigned for No Highlight. You can make it whatever shortcut you want but adding the shift key makes it easier to remember. That way you can switch highlights off and on by using the shortcuts. The only drawback is that you cannot go to a different highlight file unless you assign a new keyboard shortcut for each one.

Here is a help file for creating keyboard shortcuts for apps https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/create-keyboard-shortcuts-for-apps-mchlp2271/mac

• Like 1

I filed a Feature Request on this one. Also moving this to the Feature Requests section on here so we can better track it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fred Argilan said:

Bottom line–Accordance should allow you to turn highlights on and off, which would allow you to go back the the Highlights you are currently using. It would also presumably work in both the Apple and Windows versions.

Good suggestion. +1

On 8/25/2023 at 7:10 AM, Fred Argilan said:

Here is the Apple solution:

Using mgvh's suggestion, I created a 'No Highlights' file. I made an Accordance shortcut in Apple Keyboard Shortcuts. Type "Window->Highlights->Select Highlight File->No Highlights" in the Keyboard Shortcut Menu Title and assign whatever shortcut you want in the Keyboard Shortcut field....

Here is a help file for creating keyboard shortcuts for apps https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/create-keyboard-shortcuts-for-apps-mchlp2271/mac

I didn't know I could do this and it's a great workaround for now. Thanks!