Import User Tool ends up in Chinese

Larry Wing

I thought I'd play around with importing a pdf of some Bible study notes to a commentary user tool. I've never tried this before.

I exported the docx file to pdf and looked at it in English in Preview and then went through steps to import but all of it is in Chinese. I don't know Chinese and so don't know where it came from.  Any ideas?

MacBook Pro Intel Ventura and Accordance 14.0.7

• Confused 1

I also have had Chinese input into my stacks. I always have to delete them and even that does not always work!

Bob

Do you have the file that caused this? I can test it.

I guess the PDF. You might be able to attach it here unless it's something you can't share publicly, then you're welcome to DM it.

I have more than the Chinese showing up so I must be doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated.

1. Using Google translate reveals that the Chinese is not my text translated and has nothing to do with my pdf

2. I've found that all the Chinese relate back to my software, Softmaker TextMaker 2024.  

3. Switching to LibreOffice I don't have Chinese displayed in Accordance but pretty much nothing else instead.  No matter how I format the docx in LibreOffice for pdf export the Accordance import shows [pg1] [pg2] etc. No text at all.

4. Regarding LibreOffice, I must have the doc formatted incorrectly? I've tried with all default paragraph format as well as some with Heading and Subtitle.

One more thing re Softmaker TextMaker 2024. I just tried again but specified no embedded fonts but it still came up Chinese.

Edited by Larry Wing

If you can share the doc, we can take a look. I wonder if it's an issue with the way LibreOffice is handling it.

Sure thing! DM or email will be fine.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to attach file in message.  Is it possible?

Hi @Larry Wing,

My understanding is that the messaging portal here doesn't allow attachments. One idea would be to upload it to Dropbox and create a link for it which you can paste into a message, or better yet, email Tech Support: techsupport@accordancebible.com .

I hope this helps some.

8 hours ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Larry Wing,

My understanding is that the messaging portal here doesn't allow attachments. One idea would be to upload it to Dropbox and create a link for it which you can paste into a message, or better yet, email Tech Support: techsupport@accordancebible.com .

I hope this helps some.

Thank you. I'm trying the Dropbox link method so hopefully Nathan will get it OK.

• Like 1

I'll check my DM. Thanks!

It's importing as Chinese and some other funky fonts for me as well. What font are you using in it? I wonder if it's a font that doesn't play well with the PDF importer.

I just realized that file was TextMaker created. I've just sent a DM with both a new TextMaker and LibreOffice created pdfs. 

Thank you for your help.

Glad to assist! TextMaker file imports as Chinese. LibreOffice file imports as blank. I'll do some digging around on this one and keep you posted.

Any idea why it imports as  Chinese? I’d like to report it to developer. 

I'm not sure yet. I'm asking around here to see if someone has some insight. Do you happen to know what font those files are using?

Should be Ariel. At least that's what is showing in TM and LibreO.

Thanks. That should import cleanly. I haven't heard back from any colleagues yet, but I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

• 5 months later...

@Dr. Nathan Parker Did you find out anything? Importing still does not work.

I haven't yet. Can you re-DM me or email me the file? I'll test in the latest beta.

On 1/28/2024 at 8:24 PM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

I haven't yet. Can you re-DM me or email me the file? I'll test in the latest beta.

I DM'd you with a Dropbox link. Hope it works

Great. I'll test today.