User Notes

SpiritandFire44

Is there any way to use the same links on both a Mac and a PC for opening PDF files?  What I have done is opened in Dropbox with the documents I want to be linked to a user note.  I set it up on the PC and made sure that the files were set to accessibility offline as well as online.  It works fine on the PC but on the Mac, the link is not recognized since it begins with a "C:" drive.  These files are unfortunately too big to be made into a user tool (which would be ideal).  Any suggestions so I do not have to create a link for the Mac and the PC?  If there is one, then how do I prevent the PC user not to override the Mac one?  Thanks!

Hi @SpiritandFire44,

Hopefully someone who knows more will be able to respond, but in the meantime, I think your best option is to start the files on the Mac instead of the PC. It has been a super long time since I have used Windows, but it seems odd that it is adding that C for the drive. I wouldn't expect Mac to do this, so you would theoretically have a clean link if it was created on the Mac. I would probably test it by just creating one link on the Mac to share it and see if it works on the PC and go from there.

Regarding the PC not overriding it, I am not entirely sure if I understand. If the PC would be accessing it from Dropbox, it would just download what it wanted, and probably add the C, but that would not change what is on the Mac. If you mean that the PC would edit the links on Dropbox, when you upload it from the Mac, just set the file on Dropbox to read only. It would let the PC user download the link, but would prevent modification to it on Dropbox.

I hope this helps some.

Kristin

Thanks for your help!  It is not so much that the PC overwrites it, but that it cannot read it, because it says it is an invalid address, thus it cannot open it.  This happens with both the Mac and the PC.  They cannot read each other links, even though they accessing the same location in Dropbox.  Now user tools are seen by both machines without a problem.  But it is the links that are the problem.  When I try linking on the Mac, the link wants to go through the 
Mac on the way to Dropbox and hence the Windows machine does not understand it. ;)

I've been digging into this. I haven't found a clean way to do a cross-platform link yet, but I'm hoping someone else on here might know. 

Another question.  If I transfer the. note to iOS accordance, will the links work? :)

3 hours ago, SpiritandFire44 said:

Another question.  If I transfer the. note to iOS accordance, will the links work? :)

Not sure since iOS may handle things even differetly.

This might be a bit more "painful", but if you can generate HTTP-based share links to your files in Dropbox, that would work across all platforms for sure.

Yes, I have thought of that.  Is there a way to make dropbox or google drive links be http-based?  Thanks for your help by the way!

Also, I assume there is a way in the sync process to prevent the user notes from syncing yes?  If you turn the PDF into a User Tool there is no problem.  But apparently there is a limit to the size of the PDF file you can import into a user tool.

Here is the answer to the problem of links in user notes.  I have them in Dropbox and I asked Dropbox for a link to that file.  It worked on the Mac and in the iOS version.  I will see it it will work in the Windows User Note.  The only limitation of course is that I have to have internet access and it may be a bit slow.

3 hours ago, SpiritandFire44 said:

Here is the answer to the problem of links in user notes.  I have them in Dropbox and I asked Dropbox for a link to that file.  It worked on the Mac and in the iOS version.  I will see it it will work in the Windows User Note.  The only limitation of course is that I have to have internet access and it may be a bit slow.

It should, and that is a limitation, but at least it should work cross-platform.

5 hours ago, SpiritandFire44 said:

Also, I assume there is a way in the sync process to prevent the user notes from syncing yes?  If you turn the PDF into a User Tool there is no problem.  But apparently there is a limit to the size of the PDF file you can import into a user tool.

I think so, but if you want to email support on this to clarify, it wouldn't hurt.