Possible to turn off implicit paragraph division at beginning of chapter?

Steven S

When a biblical text is displayed as Paragraphs (or Paragraphs With Space), Accordance seems to insert an implicit paragraph division at the beginning of each chapter. That is, even if the underlying text does not indicate the start of a new paragraph here, Accordance forces one, resulting in a line break (as well as additional vertical spacing if Paragraphs With Space is selected). This produces incorrect paragraph formatting when the text happens to form a sentence from two separate verses that cross a chapter boundary. For example, such a case occurs in Nehemiah 7:73b-8:1 of NIV11:

niv11-accordance.png.09c41cbcd0a5e7dcee8eaa41b969dabf.png

By contrast, printed versions render this range of verses as part of a single paragraph. Bible Gateway gets pretty close to the printed versions I've seen:

niv11-bible-gateway.png.9973cea790023d911be7de40798d106e.png

Is there a preference that will turn off these implicit paragraph divisions at the beginning of a chapter? That is, can I get Accordance to display the above verses like the following mock-up?

niv11-accordance-desired.png.6f6d4f36183af93458de18267aba4892.png

What happens if you set it to "Separate Verses"? Do you see little paragraph markers at the beginning of chapters? I think wherever those are, that's where Accordance is breaking up the paragraphs.

@Nathan Parker, indeed, NIV11 has a pilcrow at Neh. 8:1, so maybe that wasn't the best choice for me to use as an example. :) However, I have a user Bible with no pilcrow at 8:1, and it is still rendered as if it was a new paragraph.

Below is the NIV11 on the left and my user Bible on the right displayed using Separate Verses. As you can see, the right text has no pilcrow at 8:1.

niv-verses.thumb.png.7b91c7f7755e028d854d76cd2eb19d58.png

But when they are displayed using Paragraphs With Space, you can see 8:1 is rendered as a new paragraph in both cases:

niv-paragraphs.thumb.png.8a6d54751ef22046518d9a58ee6ee2db.png

That got me thinking, so I looked at a few other official Accordance text modules that don't begin a new sentence at 8:1. The CSB17 also has a pilcrow at 8:1, so it's no surprise it is rendered the same as the NIV11. However, the NET2 does not have a pilcrow, and it is rendered almost like I want, the one defect being that it has a line break before 8:1 (but that's quite possibly in the text module itself and not an Accordance rendering artifact). Below is the NET2 with verses on the left and paragraphs on the right:

net2.thumb.png.f4629136840f53558a6046243fd1f0a7.png

So now I'm suspecting my issue may be something related to user Bibles specifically and not text module rendering in general. In which case, the premise of this post is invalid. :(

At least I was able to point you in a direction. :-) 

• Thanks 1

@Nathan Parker Yes, and thank you for that! This is the second time you've helped me refine my question this week. :) Since this problem seems to be user Bible-specific, and not something new introduced in v14, I'll probably not push it any further for now, as I understand there are several limitations with user Bibles that the team simply doesn't have time to address at the moment.

Yeah, I wonder if users can address those in the User Bible files.