hmt-w4 syntax or ETCBC syntax?

Brian Phillips

I'm planning to go through a 1st year biblical hebrew course starting later this year. But as of now, I don't know one iota (sorry, bad language pun). Neither do I know anything about the various texts. 

Does it make a difference which of these syntax modules I purchase? I already have both of the Hebrew texts but neither of the syntax add-ons.

• Like 2

the databases have different tagging terms - note below

Screenshot2023-08-17at11_42_03AM.thumb.png.45cb0fee09c84b27d812fe0b01dafe27.pngScreenshot2023-08-17at11_41_32AM.thumb.png.f87eee8f8a5c651542005b53de251bf7.png

I purchased all of them in seminary (HMT-W4, ETCBC, and A-F) so I'd be covered.

My recommendation (if you want to save money) is ask your Hebrew professor which one the professor would recommend. That way you're tracking along with your professor.

In general, HMT-W4 is going to be one of the easiest to use, ETCBC is going to be one of the most widely-used, and A-F is also popular.

I am still waiting for a webinar or someone to demonstrate how to use the Anderson Forbes  database in a real world example

I still need to do one. Now that I'm done with my PhD program, I need to spend some time brushing up on A-F and either produce a video on it or a webinar. Which format would be the most useful to you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2023 at 10:57 PM, Nathan Parker said:

I still need to do one. Now that I'm done with my PhD program, I need to spend some time brushing up on A-F and either produce a video on it or a webinar. Which format would be the most useful to you?

Andersen-Forbes would be great.

• Like 1

Sounds good. Would a live webinar or pre-recorded video be better?

43 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Sounds good. Would a live webinar or pre-recorded video be better?

I love live webinars, but I'm rarely available to follow them. For me, the most important thing, regardless of whether it's live or pre-recorded, would be 1) to show by specific examples how the database can help in nuts-and-bolts exegesis and 2) a variety of examples that users could construct in real time and use as a basis to go further. Thanks Nathan!

Sounds good! Let me do some digging into this and see what I can come up with. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2023 at 4:29 AM, mbcvida said:

I am still waiting for a webinar or someone to demonstrate how to use the Anderson Forbes  database in a real world example

You probably already watch this video, but just in case 

• Like 1

and one more...

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell

Thank you Brian. The things I found these videos to be missing is what I said in another post: "specific examples how the database can help in nuts-and-bolts exegesis and […] a variety of examples that users could construct in real time and use as a basis to go further."

• Like 1

By the way, as I look into this, are there any specific passages or sections of the OT you want me to focus on?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 1:38 AM, Donald Cobb said:

nuts-and-bolts ...

Sorry, but I not familiar with the expression 'nuts-and-bolts'.  But, I agree that it would be good if we had a video with different scholars/experts at Oak Tree Accordance showing us how they use the syntactical databases. 

This video on the ETCBC showing an interesting search might be of interest to you (if you haven't already seen it)

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell
  • Like 2

More ideas using construct in greek and hebrew. 

It would be great to see you go more in depth with construct using A-F would be great. 

Exploring search results with syntax and greek/hebrew construct. 

More ways to get search results using construct with the Greek New Testament. 

Edited by Rick55
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Rick55 said:

More ideas using construct in greek and hebrew. 

It would be great to see you go more in depth with construct using A-F would be great. 

Exploring search results with syntax and greek/hebrew construct. 

More ways to get search results using construct with the Greek New Testament. 

Regarding the already posted A-F I also agree. I've watched it multiple times and while it's helpful - it still left me a bit unsure how to get the most out of the new construct using A-F. 

Edited by Rick55

On 8/17/2023 at 8:08 AM, Brian Phillips said:

I'm planning to go through a 1st year biblical hebrew course starting later this year. But as of now, I don't know one iota (sorry, bad language pun). Neither do I know anything about the various texts. 

Does it make a difference which of these syntax modules I purchase? I already have both of the Hebrew texts but neither of the syntax add-ons.

MT-ETCBC with the syntax module is what I use the most and recommend. The A-F Syntax database is a fun. It also has it's own glossary, thus they are not the same and searching can be easier in A-F because of the added family and semantics. I still recommend MT-ETCBC first because you will become more accurate in your hebrew study.

A-F is a nice addition once you become more comfortable Hebrew grammar. 

I do not own hmt-w4.