Window sizing weirdness with MacOS and multiple monitors

Derek.o.martin

I noted this bug previously with Accordance 13 (even after updates).  But I just upgraded to version 14 and also still see it, so it may be a corner case that few people notice.

Current version:  14.0.7

MacOS:  13.4.1(c) running on a MacBook Pro (16" Apple M1 Pro from 2022)

I am running with 2 or 3 screens (laptop plus two external monitors) when I see this bug.  I see it with 1 or 2 external displays, whether I am using DisplayLink Manager or not.

Whenever I either use full screen mode (green button) and then return from it, or whenever I click and drag one edge of the window, it immediately makes the screen "wider" than the display.  Further attempts only make the window virtually wider.  There is no way to reset the size of the window except to close and reopen Accordance.

Note:  I live locally in Oviedo over close to UCF, and I'd be happy to help with any debug; anything I can do to demonstrate or to help replicate the issue?

Regards,

Derek

OK, actually I'm playing around with this more, and horizontal resize doesn't seem to work at all, even when I'm running on the laptop display alone...

I don't have a multi-monitor setup. If anyone else does and can confirm this as a bug, I can report it. Otherwise, I'd recommend emailing Tech Support.

I guess this has nothing to do with multiple monitors...  I see it even when I'm running with my laptop alone.  I'd be really curious if anyone else sees this behavior on Mac.

I will go ahead and email tech support though.  Thanks for your input, Nathan!

Sounds good. I can't reproduce it on my notebook (or desktop), so tech support can assist for sure.

Hey, just a followup for Nathan, and anyone else that runs into anything like this.  I did contact Tech Support, and got a very fast response from Ricardo (thank you Ricardo!).

The suggestion was: to use safe mode (close Accordance and reopen with Option-click).  

Suggestion 1) to try "Remove Startup Session".  In this instance this had no effect on my issue.

Suggestion 2) to try "Remove General Settings" (big warning... this removes all your settings and requires you to login and set your initial preferences again, but Ricardo warned me of this up front).  

Removing the general settings reset whatever crazy mode or bad-user issue I had managed to get it into, and windows resize normally now as I would expect.  I think this seems like a good tool to use for anyone that gets stuck in a crazy state and wants to reset back to initial defaults.

Thanks Nathan and Ricardo!

Perfect! Glad you're all set!

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about to report this bug as well.  I'll reluctantly try removing the general session settings and report back.

14" M1 Pro MBP, Ventura 13.5.1

Accordance 14.0.7

well, now it's become more inconsistent.  When not in full screen, the window extends off the 2nd monitor (second screenshot below), and I can not resize it smaller horizontally.   Vertical resizing works fine in both directions.  When in full screen it sometimes runs off the side of the screen as shown in the first screenshot, and sometimes lines up correctly.

MBP screen resolution is set to default.

2nd display resolution is 1280x1024.

As I've been writing this post, I've done some troubleshooting steps.  Here's what I learned along the way:

• In full screen, I switch Spaces on the laptop, that seems to trigger the expanded resize.  Switching tabs readjusts the window correctly.  This has no effect when not in full screen.
  • When I move the Accordance window to the laptop, not in full screen, it does not fit on that display either and can not be resized smaller.
  • Further troubleshooting has indicated that it is a problem with the "Study" workspace specifically.  Other workspaces open and function correctly.  That one does not.  When tabbed, that one prevents other workspaces from functioning correctly.

So, I'll get rid of that workspace and move on.  But, I thought I'd share my findings for the general edification of others.

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 11.31.26 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 11.32.47 AM.png

Thanks for the update! Are you all set, or do you need any further assistance?

I think I'm all set, but if I continue to have issues, I'll be sure to let you know.

Sounds good. Keep me posted!

• 7 months later...

I am having this issue now. My workspace will go super wide and I can't resize unless I use the zoom or full screen options, but then the problem will happen again later. Don't really want to wipe out my general settings to fix. I just installed this on a new machine a couple of weeks ago.

MBP

Apple M3 Max

Sonoma 14.1

16 inch

Emailing Tech Support might have another answer for you on this.