Ebook?

ReformedDoc

How do you all feel about having ebooks in Accordance where not every word is tagged and searchable, but scripture verses are tagged? I am asking because I just bought one in Logos and since they do not tag every word, they are quicker and cheaper to produce. I am asking because I would rather buy any resource/module in Accordance these days so I would like to hear your thoughts,

Edited by ReformedDoc

38 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @ReformedDoc,

That is not something I could see personally using, but I am curious what others here think.

The idea behind it is more for reading as opposed to bible research, here is the book I bought.

optimized?w=250

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReformedDoc said:

where not every word is searchable,

I was conned and bought the niv cultural study bible as an apple app which was produced for Zondervan by olive tree. While i can search the bible text, i cant search any of the notes. This makes it totally useless for me as im interested in cultural background and dont only want to be reading about it when i happen to come across it because im at a particular passage. 

not quite what you are asking but having been bitten once, if i cant search a word in an electronic document, then i dont see the purpose of having it as an e version as it really doesnt really add anything over a dead tree version and has more limitations as i cant even loan it out.

• Like 3

Entirely depends on the book. For monographs and books that I actually ‘read’ it doesn’t get better than kindle. For reference books, those I want to search or randomly consult, accordance if they have it. 

• Like 3

@ukfraser @ReformedDoc

I'm not sure I follow. If the resource is available as an e-volume as digital text, searching for it should be trivial. The document needs no special marking up. It's only when you want to cross-reference from say a footnote reference in Beale to the actual text in Carson that you need to start tagging things. Likewise references to scripture.

Why would there be a situation where effort is put into tagging the scripture references that results in blocking search in the document itself?

3 hours ago, Lawrence said:

@ukfraser @ReformedDoc

Why would there be a situation where effort is put into tagging the scripture references that results in blocking search in the document itself?

As i said, i bought the cultural study bible app via the apple store. Search was not possible on the additional text. I contacted their support and requested it. Their support said, what a great idea. The resource was never updated and is now no longer available. 

It is very easy to make e-documents non searchable hence my comment but as you say,

why put in part effort?

I can only assume to get my money!

it certainly wasnt to make a useful app or to build a happy customer base or for any long term strategy. 

and it certainly reduces an e-books usefulness and potential.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

We're not going to produce lower-quality eBooks in Accordance since it doesn't fit well with the advantages of using Accordance.

However, we are working on tools that can dramatically speed up the development of some Accordance modules such as monographs. This will allow us to more quickly add modules to Accordance without sacrificing quality.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

We're not going to produce lower-quality eBooks in Accordance since it doesn't fit well with the advantages of using Accordance.

However, we are working on tools that can dramatically speed up the development of some Accordance modules such as monographs. This will allow us to more quickly add modules to Accordance without sacrificing quality.

I understand that fully and it is not my idea of a great way to deal with a resource, especially in Accordance. For them, it fits because they are known as a library of resources.

14 hours ago, Lawrence said:

@ukfraser @ReformedDoc

I'm not sure I follow. If the resource is available as an e-volume as digital text, searching for it should be trivial. The document needs no special marking up. It's only when you want to cross-reference from say a footnote reference in Beale to the actual text in Carson that you need to start tagging things. Likewise references to scripture.

My faux pas, it is searchable, I just searched for textual and variants and they came up, so I will have to reread how and what they were explaining about the resource.

Ebooks on the platform come as is from the publisher and are designed to be read cover to cover. Links to Bible verses and books will appear in searches, but they have minimal tagging to help you stay focused as you need.
Edited by ReformedDoc
  • Like 1

I can see a benefit of some biblical apps bringing in some eBooks (I don't have an Amazon account, so I don't have access to Kindle and usually turn to other alternatives such as Christian-based platforms). Some of those books seem decently searchable from when I've personally used them in seminary.

We're not going to get into simply bringing in un-tagged eBooks since they wouldn't fit well with Accordance's platform and standard of quality. However, once we finish building out our tools to streamline the ability to bring monographs into Accordance, we're going to be able to release more modules at a quicker rate, but still at high-quality.

• Like 1