Searching for multiple lexical items

JeremiahZ

Greetings, 

I am assuming this is possible/simple, but I'm really an Accordance novice.

I'd like to search my Hebrew text for the occurrence of a few lexical, but without limiting my search to verses where all the terms appear. So for example, I would like to be able to run a search for

פֶּשַׁע or עָוֹן

And get results featuring either occurring singly or both occurring together. Or even do three of four lexical items.

Thanks!

Hi @JeremiahZ, there is one limitation with @Tim Planche's method. It will not find any verses where both your words are present. 

Sorry for the mistake, see discussion below...

Edited by Accordance Enthusiast
corrected mistake

Use the XOR command to find either or both words. 

3 minutes ago, A. Smith said:

Use the XOR command to find either or both words. 

Correct, but with complex searches it is often necessary to have lists of words in brackets plus the OR or AND etc. command in the middle.

image.thumb.png.af61fb47a062cea6924f26784c593952.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Accordance Enthusiast said:

Correct, but with complex searches it is often necessary to have lists of words in brackets plus the OR or AND etc. command in the middle.

image.thumb.png.af61fb47a062cea6924f26784c593952.png

I’ve not experienced that. But, to be honest, I don’t work much with Hebrew and I get the distinct impression Hebrew searches are more demanding. 

7 hours ago, Accordance Enthusiast said:

Hi @JeremiahZ, there is one limitation with @Tim Planche's method. It will not find any verses where both your words are present. 

If you want to also include verses where both words may be present, do it is as follows:

Click the search menu, then select "Enter Lexical Forms", then select as many words as you need.

Hi, this isn’t quite right. The simple <OR> search will find verses where one or the other *or both* terms appear.

if you want the search that *doesn’t* include both terms in a verse (well strictly speaking in your search scope) then use <XOR>. 

if you look at Tim’s example you can see both his search terms as hits in the final displayed verse. 

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Accordance Enthusiast said:

If you want to also include verses where both words may be present, do it is as follows:

Click the search menu, then select "Enter Lexical Forms", then select as many words as you need.

as above from @ Ken Simpson - this search does find one or the other or both - have a look in the screenshot of ex 34:7

but do have a look at the help page I posted or some of the tutorial in the help menu - they are very useful 

Screenshot2023-08-11at14_18_30.thumb.png.b51abfba2043e16af4cbc2506fb3041a.png

and I think the <XOR> is of the rarer instance when you want either, but not of the search terms

I apologize for getting thigs backwards here! Yes, after testing again I agree that the OR command will find verses with both and XOR only one or the other. Sorry again for the incorrect information in above post. (I confused the OR command with the AND command).

You still need to use lists of words in brackets for any complex searches, e.g. words (A,B) <OR> (C, D) will give different results than A <OR> B <OR> C <OR> D.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Accordance Enthusiast said:

I apologize for getting thigs backwards here! Yes, after testing again I agree that the OR command will find verses with both and XOR only one or the other. Sorry again for the incorrect information in above post. (I confused the OR command with the AND command).

You still need to use lists of words in brackets for any complex searches, e.g. words (A,B) <OR> (C, D) will give different results than A <OR> B <OR> C <OR> D.

That's fine 🙂 I had to think about it again. And yes you are right because the logic is different. 

A <OR> B <OR> C <OR> D is different logically to (A,B) <OR> (C, D)

But (A,B) <OR> (C, D) is equivalent to (A <OR> B) <OR> (C <OR> D)

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2023 at 8:22 AM, Ken Simpson said:

A <OR> B <OR> C <OR> D is different logically to (A,B) <OR> (C, D)

So what does A <OR> B <OR> C <OR> D mean? I would expect <OR> to be commutative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlm said:

I would expect <OR> to be commutative.

As well as associative ... which is why I got confused when I read the proposition above that "A <OR> B <OR> C <OR> D" is different logically from "( A <OR> B ) <OR> ( C <OR> D )".

3 hours ago, Steven S said:

As well as associative ... which is why I got confused when I read the proposition above that "A <OR> B <OR> C <OR> D" is different logically from "( A <OR> B ) <OR> ( C <OR> D )".

Yes, I actually meant associative.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jlm said:

Yes, I actually meant associative.

Actually on reflection you're right. The OR is associative, so the result set would be identical. My mistake. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1