Mac Toolbar Appearance

Robb B

Now that the Accordance workspace has been updated with the current design language of MacOS, perhaps the toolbar could be reimagined. The current look is certainly an improvement over 14.0.6 with the massive toolbar icons that could not be resized, but the lack of spacing and the workspace and app name on the left are not ideal. I don't know if this is a 14.1 type of feature or a version 15 overhaul, but in all honesty this looks half-baked. It looks like a carry over from a previous version that was ported, which essentially is what it is. I would love to see the interface updated to look like a modern Mac app with the latest design features thoughtfully implemented. Thanks for listening.

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 22.05.24.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

@Robb B,

Do all the workspaces say "Workspace - Accordance" instead of "Workspace" ? Hopefully that is a bug as it takes up a lot of unnecessary space compared to how it had been with "Workspace". Likewise, it seemed much better with version 13 (where "Workspace" was above the toolbar), since it is literally eating space on the toolbar in the pic. I have my tools going across the whole screen and can't really afford for it to be sharing space. I can post a pic to compare if it would help.

Kristin

• Like 1

Is that a screenshot running 14.0.7? I would have to agree with @Robb B. The toolbar is a digression. Having the the workspace name on the left takes up a lot of space as well. (This reminds me of the toolbar in Bookends before the design was updated. It was in the same location.) It does not leave much room for customization (see example from my current toolbar in 13.3.3).

image.thumb.png.9ef18fab72fa59ef4afe3fbc6d88b832.png

Perhaps this would also be a good time to update the visual inconsistency of the toolbar icons. See here:

Here is an example of an app with more visual consistency (and does not allow for for "small size" icons, but notice that the icons are a visually balanced size):

image.thumb.png.f3c2b89467c536f83ae7b7f1e2b05293.png

• Like 2

The title to the left instead of above is apparently related to Ventura toolbar requirements/expectations.  But it can be set to be above: Accordance>Settings>Appearance near the bottom is a checkbox for "use legacy toolbar appearance."  This was mentioned in the release notes for 14.0.7.

• Like 3

Moved this to feature requests since I'd like some feedback on how we can improve the toolbar moving forward. Feel free to chime in with any feedback/suggestions you have.

The main reason for the introduction of the new toolbar in 14.0.7 was to partially resolve the "small icon" size issue that was missing in Ventura by adopting Ventura's toolbar format. However, the change can certainly be a "beginning" and not "end all" solution, and we're welcome to collect any feedback and see how we can improve upon it.

We may not need to wait until 15 for such a change. I won't promise it in 14.1 since 14.1 is going to heavily focus on enhanced syncing. What I will say is give us all the feedback you want, and we'll see how and when we could work some in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

The title to the left instead of above is apparently related to Ventura toolbar requirements/expectations.  But it can be set to be above: Accordance>Settings>Appearance near the bottom is a checkbox for "use legacy toolbar appearance."  This was mentioned in the release notes for 14.0.7.

This option is a non-starter since it makes the toolbar icons excessively large.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Moved this to feature requests since I'd like some feedback on how we can improve the toolbar moving forward. Feel free to chime in with any feedback/suggestions you have.

The main reason for the introduction of the new toolbar in 14.0.7 was to partially resolve the "small icon" size issue that was missing in Ventura by adopting Ventura's toolbar format. However, the change can certainly be a "beginning" and not "end all" solution, and we're welcome to collect any feedback and see how we can improve upon it.

We may not need to wait until 15 for such a change. I won't promise it in 14.1 since 14.1 is going to heavily focus on enhanced syncing. What I will say is give us all the feedback you want, and we'll see how and when we could work some in.

What do you mean "by adopting Ventura's toolbar format?" I haven't seen the app name followed by a dash with the file name in the toolbar in a Mac app, whether Apple's native apps or third-party apps like Signal, Spark, OliveTree Bible Study, Things, Fantastical, FocusMatrix, Microsoft Office apps, Notability, and the list goes on and on. Are there other apps using this convention? 

I'll bring this up at a future meeting and see what our particular naming convention was for this.

I checked a few apps on my Mac, and another Bible app you're probably very aware of uses a similar format to what we're doing.

So after doing some research on this (as I'm still on Monterey), it looks like this might be able to be changed. Does anyone running 14.0.7 on Ventura have the time to experiment with the following setting to see if it makes any difference in conjunction with the options for the Accordance preference mentioned above?

image.thumb.jpeg.43c96055e2c20f35f84fef3bed89eb4d.jpeg

The name on the left is awful, so big; very update gets worse. I give up. 

• Like 1

I think it looks great how it had been at the top. Small, easy to quickly see, and didn't get in the way. It also didn't waste space since it is the same height as the Apple "stoplight." Hopefully they will put it back how it was.

Bildschirmfoto2023-08-04um09_13_26.thumb.png.fa8730f3b50c0794f19f8bd342c8d56d.png

• Like 2

They could put it back at the top and make all the icons smaller across the board. Then they wouldn't need the "Use Small Icons" option and the name would not be in the way.

• Like 1

Good feedback! We'll have to experiment with toolbar stuff we have access to in Ventura and see how we can improve this. As long as we don't move it to the left-hand side. :-)

@darrylmy I tried it on my Ventura machine. It didn't change anything with the new toolbar. 

• Thanks 2

Interesting thread. I sort of like the new experience. It is more usable on bigger screens where there is more space for everything to fit. My 13 inch laptop screen does get a little cramped. Checking my other apps I use regularly the app name does not appear in the upper left. I do really like the workspaces name being there. It's bigger and more readable in the new version. That is a win. Perhaps removing the word Accordance from the window title would alleviate some of the space constraints. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Kristin said:

I think it looks great how it had been at the top. Small, easy to quickly see, and didn't get in the way. It also didn't waste space since it is the same height as the Apple "stoplight." Hopefully they will put it back how it was.

Bildschirmfoto2023-08-04um09_13_26.thumb.png.fa8730f3b50c0794f19f8bd342c8d56d.png

Don't forget that you still have this option by setting:

Settings > Appearance > Use legacy window toolbar appearance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Count me among those who like the new toolbar - or at least the attempt to regularly re-examine and refine the UI. Monitors always have more real estate left to right than top-to-bottom, so I like the idea of having the name of the workspace left justified rather than on top where it takes up space that is at more of a premium. (I do think the "Accordance" in the workspace name is unnecessary, however.)

Edited by Jordan Gowing
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike Garrity said:

Haw can I put the name on top on Ventura?

17 minutes ago, danielcutri said:

Haw can I put the name on top on Ventura?

You should be able to check that appearance option to see the Workspace name above the toolbar.

Mike's instructions work on Ventura (confirmed for me). The icons will certainly be larger, but it does work.

The resource palette was fun. I remember those days.

Thanks, I was able to do it. Very large, yes, but at least is on top. 

9 hours ago, Mike Garrity said:

I had missed this, Thanks @Mike Garrity

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 1:52 AM, Donovan R. Palmer said:

I am glad to see the toolbar being experimented with. A number of apps are moving to different toolbar options and configurations.  (i.e. Arc Browser heavily focuses on a collapsable side tool bar, Obsidian has the same).  

I suggest that the space consumed by the workspace name is really expensive. What about considering putting the workspace name at the bottom - this would free up the toolbar at the top.  Really the workspace title is a reference point and not a workflow item.  The main reason I need to see it from time to time is to remind me which workspace I have loaded, so functionally being in the bottom would easily serve the same purpose.

There are likely much better ideas as toolbar design is definitely not my wheelhouse, but hopefully this is a useful contribution!

image.thumb.png.5b99350252db63ac540d213d5043e155.png

I actually like the new toolbar with the title on the same line, because it saves vertical space. But my toolbar was never very full. There are only a few things I regularly need there.

• Like 2

I paired my own toolbar way down a while back and just put the essentials up there. :-)

Since this is becoming a general discussion/request forum for toolbar changes, I'll say what I've said before. the entire toolbar/tabs/search/whatever chunk takes up entirely too much space. I recognize I can hide the toolbar; that is good. But We've got a solid inch and a half of space and more between zone/tab/search box/text title bars. I'd like to see this all condensed and/or able to be hidden. Screen space is valuable!

• Like 6

For clarity, THIS is what I'm talking about. I realize that some of this is essential. But there has got to be a better way. image.thumb.png.0c5cc819bb2fb876efa563ecd98249ad.png

• Like 1