Research > Hebrew Lexicons incorrectly says "These words were not found..."

Brian Phillips

I've tried this in BHS-T and BHS Hebrew (ETCBC). If I right-click, choose Research > Hebrew Lexicons, I get the pop-up in the screenshot... sometimes two of these pop-ups appear. The example in the screenshot is Gen 1.17,  רָקִיעַ,  However, if I triple-click the word, it opens up to the entry in my default Hebrew Lexicon (HALOT).

Tested on both MBP 2023 (M2 Max) and iMac 2020 (Intel), Accordance 14.0.7, macOS Ventura 13.5.

image.thumb.png.b3d0ce0429b48d8a3007d0c504cae0b1.png

I'm running 13.3.3 and get the same behavior (minus the double pop ups). This might be a bug depending on how "research" is intended to function. That is, if it is intended to function like triple-clicking a single lexicon with the convenience of amplifying to multiple lexicons in the same manner. The problem is that choosing "research" is not distinguishing between the preposition and the noun. When triple-clicking, Accordance assumes you want to amplify from just רְקִ֣יעַ, but in research it is trying to amplify to בְּ רָקִיעַ (this is likely why you're getting two errors). What's more, is that Accordance isn't even trying to properly search for two lexemes separately (e.g., as בְּ =רָקִיעַ=). I am only detailing all this because I think it helps us in our own personal study to better understand the tool(s) we're using. After all, no tool is perfect (but it would be nice to get this issue resolved).

With all that said, the solution is to highlight just the lexeme you want (in this case, רְקִ֣יעַ, unless you wanted to look up the preposition instead) and then right click and choose Research > Hebrew Lexicons and it will amplify with the desired results.

Hope that helps.

Yep, that's what I'm seeing as well. I guess we could file a feature request to look at adjusting it.

2023-08-03_15-00-44.png