MT-LXX Parallel: from Greek word to Hebrew "originals"

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I'm struggling a bit to figure out how to use the MT-LXX.  Today I wanted to see what underlying Hebrew words were translated as παρακαλέω in the LXX.  I watched Dr. J's Lighting the Lamp episode on the MT-LXX, but it didn't completely answer my question.  

What I'm wanting to see is results akin to those in the first analysis pane below, except with a greek word at the top, and all the underlying Hebrew words listed below it.  But I can't figure out how to get there.    Can anyone walk me through it?

Screenshot2023-08-02at12_59_53PM.thumb.png.c88b9efbf59b4ea7b8f5f90cfb35dbba.png

if you click on the gear symbol you can change the display

Screenshot2023-08-02at21_55_42.thumb.png.f7318eefa6f11fa369dcb55091c2bbc5.png

you can open up the preferences to set the display exactly how you want to se it

Screenshot2023-08-02at21_59_53.thumb.png.bb358dbdf4e73f0870ff4a16c2423e1c.png

the only other thing I would add - is it may worth trying out the TEXT command if you are looking at correspondence between the Hebrew and Greek

https://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/14-macOS/index.htm#t=mac_14%2Fcontent%2Ftopics%2F06_braa%2Ftext_1.htm&rhsearch=text&rhhlterm=text texts

This command (I think) came out after this lighting the lamp episode and I find it easier to use and more flexible for these comparisons

Thank you!  I was initially still confused as I had missed that I needed the "analysis" type of analytics.  (How I missed that the tab in the screenshot said as much, I do not know.). Once I had that and your pointer to the gear icon/preferences, I was able to get it sorted.  Dr. J had talked about that, but I had missed that it was specific to the Analysis tab. 

One note for anyone else who finds this thread after watching the Lighting the Lamp episode:  in Lighting the Lamp, in the preferences tab that Tim Planche so helpfully provides above, there is an item for MT-LXX.  You will note that item is not there in the screenshot above.  Instead, it has been replaced with "intertext."  Once you drag it over into the column you can specify a Hebrew text.  Presumably depending on your resources there are other possibilities, but I only have that one.  

Thanks, too, for pointing me to the TEXT command.  Unfortunately the help does not provide and example for using it with Hebrew & Greek texts, even though it says it can be done.  I did manage to find a video on it, so I'm off to watch that in hopes I'll learn what I need to know.

• Like 1

Got it!  And, in the process realized you had used a TEXT command in your Screen shots.  Took me forever to get the-@[particle] in the right order due to the search pane expecting right to left text, but I finally sorted it.  Thank you so much!  You are right that the TEXT command is so much easier!  I remember hearing about it when 13 came out, and going "neat," but at the time my work flow did necessitate it's use, so I had forgotten about it.

• Like 1

your other option is the new word study that you get from the new 'word study" in Accordance 14

you access this by right clicking a word

Screenshot2023-08-02at23_24_23.thumb.png.83fb99387a7ff027eb27ad9bbf4875f5.png

The Pie charts look good and it is very quick to give a result- but generally I prefer the TEXT command as it is more flexible and customisable

Just one other thing that occasionally catches me out is that when comparing back and forth word counts between the MT and LXX you need to bear in mind there are more books in the LXX than in the MT - so searches in the LXX will find more hits  than searches in the LXX. You can use the [RANGE] command to ensure you are searching the same books in both searches. 

• Like 1

Thanks again!