apostolic fathers search results - greek and english not synced in parallel

Brian Phillips

Am I doing something wrong, or is this related to the English and Greek not being synced in Accordance? As you can see in the attached image, Apostolic Fathers English (Lightfoot) shows 1Clem8.6 where the main Greek panel for Apostolic Fathers (Lightfoot) doesn't have that verse. Then the English shows 1Clem 43.1 where the Greek shows 43.2.

image.thumb.png.07f9826798699fd1d2cbc567eb7fd384.png

Okay, I don't think this has anything to do with the search. When I set up a tab with AF Greek on the main, left tab and add the parallel english (as above in the screenshot but without the construct search), I then go to 1Clem 9.1, and the English is lined up at 1Clem 8.6. This is the last verse of chapter 8, so the english reference is off by one.

It looks like the problem starts in 1Clem at 8.2 in the Greek. That Greek verse is split into two verses for the English. Verses are in sync up to that point.

image.thumb.png.9c5e8c68b2326850e9e200445b48ef3a.png

Hi @Brian Phillips. Not sure if this helps, but in the Read Me for the AFL-T (Greek Lightfoot) module, it states:

It differs from the print text in that it adopts the continuous versification system of Shepherd of Hermas developed by Michael Holmes in his Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations (Baker). This allows for a more ready comparison of the two.

My take on that is that the Greek Lightfoot module has been reversified to match Holmes. Since there isn't a corresponding Read Me for the English Lightfoot module (AFL-E), I'm assuming there wasn't a similar reversification done there. Again, these are just guesses on my part.

2 hours ago, Steven S said:

Hi @Brian Phillips. Not sure if this helps, but in the Read Me for the AFL-T (Greek Lightfoot) module, it states:

My take on that is that the Greek Lightfoot module has been reversified to match Holmes. Since there isn't a corresponding Read Me for the English Lightfoot module (AFL-E), I'm assuming there wasn't a similar reversification done there. Again, these are just guesses on my part.

Okay, that's what it is. Thanks!

I got Holmes AF-T and AF-E, and they look good together.

• Like 1