Word frequency

Gary Pauley

I should know this...but if I search for word frequency (uniqueness, importance, etc)...is there a way I can eliminate particles in the search? I think when I try to eliminate them with <NOT> it eliminates words prefixed with articles and thereby I lose the word altogether...I think? Thoughts?

Hi @Gary Pauley,

Hopefully someone else can give a more concrete answer, but my experience is that the tagging is not reliable to do pinpoint counts. I can't think of a specific example off the top of my head, but I am sure you've seen it too, where when you search for a key, the highlighted part is not actually the word, but the vav prefix, as well as instances of untagged lexical forms (or tagged on the wrong word, etc). So just because of this, I am not sure how accurate the count would be.

That said, I think what you could do is to try it. Do the search a few different ways with a short sample text and see how it counts the prefix.

Hopefully someone else has a better idea.

Kristin

2 hours ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Gary Pauley,

... I am sure you've seen it too, where when you search for a key, the highlighted part is not actually the word, but the vav prefix, as well as instances of untagged lexical forms (or tagged on the wrong word, etc)...

Yes, I do know what you mean. Thanks...I'll keep messing with it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gary Pauley said:

I should know this...but if I search for word frequency (uniqueness, importance, etc)...is there a way I can eliminate particles in the search? I think when I try to eliminate them with <NOT> it eliminates words prefixed with articles and thereby I lose the word altogether...I think? Thoughts?

Are looking primarily at Greek texts? Or Hebrew?

not sure if I entirely understand the intention - 

but does using the tag  @-[particle] work?

<NOT> will rule out the entire verse - 

tried it with the following search 

[LXX1 =ἄνθρωπος]‏@- [PARTICLE]

and it seems to work

15 hours ago, Tim Planche said:

not sure if I entirely understand the intention - 

but does using the tag  @-[particle] work?

<NOT> will rule out the entire verse - 

tried it with the following search 

[LXX1 =ἄνθρωπος]‏@- [PARTICLE]

and it seems to work

Yes...that did it! Thanks @Tim Planche

• Like 1