Let's put an indefinite moratorium on everything Reformed

Mark Allison

Everyone else needs a chance to catch up. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I’d argue to just get more module developers

• Like 4

I don't know if there's enough module developers in the world to keep up with the influx of Reformed resources. I don't think we could hire enough to even catch up with everything N. T. Wright produces even we hired a dedicated team just working on his stuff. :-) 

• Like 2

Consider hiring freelancers to work on the simpler modules that wouldn't require a great amount of training.

• Like 2

Hey wait, @Mark Allison you said everything reformed, so where does that leave me the ReformedDoc...🤣

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, ReformedDoc said:

Hey wait, @Mark Allison you said everything reformed, so where does that leave me the ReformedDoc...🤣

You're already developed 🙂

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

with everything N. T. Wright produces

Give him a crash course in development and get him to work directly in accordance, make him even more productive.

🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, ukfraser said:

Give him a crash course in development and get him to work directly in accordance, make him even more productive.

That would be fun. :-) 

15 hours ago, Daniel L said:

Consider hiring freelancers to work on the simpler modules that wouldn't require a great amount of training.

In all seriousness, we are looking into some tools that will speed up the creation of some modules such as monographs.

• Like 3

I don’t know what is involved in module development, but would it be possible to train users to do it?  I’m retired.  I’d be happy to work on some public domain stuff for my own use and I would be happy to upload it to distribute to other members for their use.  I’m not in it for the money.  I just want access to the helpful tools and I would like to make them available to as many people as would use them.

It’s a simple idea, rather like YouTube in which users create content.

Grits 

• Like 2

It's possible, but once you see what's involved, you might not want to get into that kind of effort. :-) Once I saw behind the scenes the fine work our module developers do, I think God every time I open and enjoy an Accordance module. They put a ton of effort into producing the rich content we utilize on a daily basis.

For Public Domain works, User Tools are still an option.

18 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

It's possible, but once you see what's involved, you might not want to get into that kind of effort. 🙂 Once I saw behind the scenes the fine work our module developers do, I think God every time I open and enjoy an Accordance module. They put a ton of effort into producing the rich content we utilize on a daily basis.

If you start linking to every module that Accordance has it can be preponderous. Think: Bible, patristics, lexicons, journals, dictionaries ... Anytime an author cites a source, then it could potentially need (or at least use) a link to jump there. Then start doing grammatical tagging for original languages if that doesn't make your head spin.

I made a few user tools on my own, but for the time I put into them I think it could be cheaper to buy them if they were available.

• Like 4

On 8/1/2023 at 8:24 PM, Nathan Parker said:

It's possible, but once you see what's involved, you might not want to get into that kind of effort. 🙂 Once I saw behind the scenes the fine work our module developers do, I think God every time I open and enjoy an Accordance module. They put a ton of effort into producing the rich content we utilize on a daily basis.

I too thank God for Accordance and all of the resources that are available - and goodness knows, I have purchased many (just ask my wife).  It is impossible to exaggerate how helpful Accordance is to me.  I use it on a daily basis to prepare Sunday school and community Bible study lessons.  If my house were to catch on fire, my laptop would be the first thing I grabbed to save and only because Accordance and all of my Bible study lessons are on it.  

Grits

• Like 3

I am not Reformed, but still would not support this. There are too many good books by Reformed authors that are valuable to us who are not Reformed. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Roy Phillips said:
On 8/1/2023 at 7:24 PM, Nathan Parker said:

I too thank God for Accordance and all of the resources that are available - and goodness knows, I have purchased many (just ask my wife).  It is impossible to exaggerate how helpful Accordance is to me.  I use it on a daily basis to prepare Sunday school and community Bible study lessons.  If my house were to catch on fire, my laptop would be the first thing I grabbed to save and only because Accordance and all of my Bible study lessons are on it.

Good news is you can restore your installation even if you didn't get your laptop in time, which I pray never happens to you!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, miketisdell said:

I am not Reformed, but still would not support this. There are too many good books by Reformed authors that are valuable to us who are not Reformed. 

There are a ton of good Reformed titles. I'm not technically Reformed either, but I do enjoy reading Reformed works.

• Like 1

I think a moratorium on reformed titles is a great idea. But I understand the facts. Christian Academia has almost been overrun with reformed theologians. It’s like trying to find a conservative in higher education, I should know, I teach at the college here. There are so few of them and if you say anything you’re immediately labeled racist.

And in the church, who wants to be labeled a semi-pelagian or worse! In the immortal words of chancellor Palpatine, “I’d say we’re going to have to accept Federation control for the time being.” Where is queen Amidala when we need her?

We were admonished in another, rather lively discussion post, in which my eloquent defense of the Cotton Patch Translation and Clarence Jordan were redacted, and probably with good reason, that “Accordance is built to do original language studies in English, Greek & Hebrew, tagged to Greek & Hebrew dictionary's, lexicons, commentary's, translator notes...etc. 

They have other more pressing things to work on than this, I don't see it as any value especially with everything else they are working on, but hey that's just me.” Touché!

In my habitual perusal of New Releases, I found the new titles:

Prayers of the Early Church

Regular Price: $9.99 | Buy Now

and

To My Younger Brethren (Moule)

Regular Price: $9.99| Buy Now

Good to know Accordance devotes time to diversity of subject matter and not just reformed titles. Can someone please fact check that the early church and Moule were not reformed theologians? I’d hate to attribute diversity of subject matter only to discover later that Paul was a Calvinist. 

Speaking of such things, is it true that the Southern Baptist convention tried to sneak DEI into the seminaries (critical race theory and intersectionality as analytical tools subordinate to scripture) into resolution 9 last year? If so, we may have bigger Gungans to fry than whether or not God has chosen the lost for hellfire and brimstone. 

On a less humorous note. This is probably one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. What make it funny is its juxtaposition with the photo of the newborn. 

“If my house were to catch on fire, my laptop would be the first thing I grabbed to save and only because Accordance and all of my Bible study lessons are on it.“

Let’s hope your wife remembers your baby. Lol

I do hope we can keep this kind of discussion to a minimum. As a Neutestamentler teaching in a Calvinist Seminary—and personally at home with Reformed theology—, I am interested in a variety of viewpoints and approaches, and am thankful that Accordance is committed to that diversity. There is no one theological tendency that has a 100% monopoly on understanding Scripture. I would prefer to say that what we need first of all is tools that can help us attain a surer understanding of the text and, secondly, authors that can stretch, and deepen, our understanding of God's unfathomable revelation. That will take us beyond labels that are bandied around, sometimes too easily.

Can we leave it at that?

• Like 4

I really think @Mark Allison was just being tongue-in-cheek in his original post. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, R. Mansfield said:

I really think @Mark Allison was just being tongue-in-cheek in his original post. 

I don't doubt that for a moment and that's the way I took it. But keeping the discussion to a minimum is a good thing too.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, josephbradford said:

On a less humorous note. This is probably one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. What make it funny is its juxtaposition with the photo of the newborn. 

“If my house were to catch on fire, my laptop would be the first thing I grabbed to save and only because Accordance and all of my Bible study lessons are on it.“

Let’s hope your wife remembers your baby. Lol

To clarify, the baby is my grandson, not my child.  He doesn’t live with me, but if he did, I would grab my laptop, er, uh, I mean my grandson.  No, my laptop - ugh! Decisions, decisions...

Grits

10 hours ago, Roy Phillips said:

To clarify, the baby is my grandson, not my child.  He doesn’t live with me, but if he did, I would grab my laptop, er, uh, I mean my grandson.  No, my laptop - ugh! Decisions, decisions...

Grits

Hahahahaha

Roy gets it!

My wife says I have to grab the wedding photo album. Perhaps I just need to finally getting around to scanning those photos after 33 years. 

On 8/2/2023 at 8:24 AM, Nathan Parker said:

How about using AI to pre-process your resources?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lawrence said:

How about using AI to pre-process your resources?

We are looking into tools that'll speed up module development, especially for monographs.

• Like 1