How to know if Greek bible resource has tagging before purchasing

Brian Phillips

How do I know before purchasing whether a bible resource has morphological tagging?

For example, the Brenton LXX doesn't have any underlying "hits" with the Greek (don't know the Accordance terminology) so no morph searching(?) The Rahlf's LXX has morph tagging, but I just lucked into that. 

Maybe I'm confused. Although I've owned Accordance for a long time, I'm just now beginning to use it for more than reading.

6 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

Does the "tagged" term in the product name help?

image.thumb.png.e8e15b2dbd71f423cc089b3e3b32fe25.png

Yes, absolutely. I just hadn't noticed anything yet that had "tagged" in the name. Thank you.

I just purchased the Swete LXX + GNT Westcott/Hort and it doesn't mention "tagged", but if I hover over a Greek word, the Instant Details shows the grammatical information. I assume that means it's tagged, right?

image.png.8e796d79579725b93e7d2662bd6a742d.png

Edited by Brian Phillips
  • Like 1

I might misunderstand you but you also need to read the product description in the store, gnt states morphologically tagged in the description (yes, inconsistent as its not also in the title but i think thats because it has wh already but there are a few inconsistencies in the store which users are encouraged to point out as identified) and swete has an apparatus which is in the title which indicates it has been enhanced with some sort of clever accordance magic which acts as a tag from a database.

7AC9765E-EBC6-4106-A38F-847E28506E38.jpeg

F7FD7A62-271C-4926-A9B4-98027C5A9C1D.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

If a Text has "tagged" in the description, then it certainly is, but many tagged Texts do not have "tagged" in the name. For example, Codex Bezae and Codex Alexandrinus. Most original language Texts are tagged with morphology. Many translations are tagged with Strong's numbers, and Accordance can use those to find the word in a tagged Greek NT or Hebrew Text and show morphological information from that Text.

There is no tagged translation of the LXX, and there is not even a system for tagging them. Since there are many words in the LXX that are not in the GNT, Strong's numbers and G/K numbers are inadequate: a new system of numbers would have to be created.

25 minutes ago, jlm said:

There is no tagged translation of the LXX, and there is not even a system for tagging them. Since there are many words in the LXX that are not in the GNT, Strong's numbers and G/K numbers are inadequate: a new system of numbers would have to be created.

That all depends on what one means by "tagged."  In original language texts (in Accordance), "tagged" usually means it has grammatical and morphological tags.  So that, for example, I can hover over ἐποίησεν  in Genesis 1:1 and see "ἐποίησεν ποιέω Verb 3 sing aor act indic  to do, make; to work"  in the Instant detals.  Many LXX texts available in Accordance are tagged this way, as is Swete.  (one hint that Swete is tagged is that the module abbreviation is LXXS-T; any text module whose abbreviation ends in -T is tagged, although some-like W/H are tagged but don't end in -T)

LXX modules don't do the cross highlighting with Strong's or G/K numbered modern texts for the reason you state. 

Edited by Lorinda H. M. Hoover

1 hour ago, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

That all depends on what one means by "tagged."  In original language texts (in Accordance), "tagged" usually means it has grammatical and morphological tags.  So that, for example, I can hover over ἐποίησεν  in Genesis 1:1 and see "ἐποίησεν ποιέω Verb 3 sing aor act indic  to do, make; to work"  in the Instant detals.  Many LXX texts available in Accordance are tagged this way, as is Swete.  (one hint that Swete is tagged is that the module abbreviation is LXXS-T; any text module whose abbreviation ends in -T is tagged, although some-like W/H are tagged but don't end in -T)

LXX modules don't do the cross highlighting with Strong's or G/K numbered modern texts for the reason you state. 

By "LXX translations," I meant English translations of the Greek LXX, not translations into Greek from Hebrew. The OP had noticed that he couldn't search Brenton's English translation for Greek words.

• Like 1

Ah, I didn't read carefully enough.  Sorry about that.  

Good discussion! You can always read the product descriptions, and if all else fails, you're welcome to ask here anytime or contact sales to clarify. We have a first-class team of sales reps who can answer questions you have, and you already know good our forums are. :-) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Good discussion! You can always read the product descriptions, and if all else fails, you're welcome to ask here anytime or contact sales to clarify. We have a first-class team of sales reps who can answer questions you have, and you already know good our forums are. 🙂

The forum is good despite Admin...😁

:-)